Grilled sweet potato wedges with avocado cream sauce for dipping are the perfect healthy side to accompany burgers, grilled chicken and more!
Can I let you in on a little secret? I don’t really care for french fries. (Gasp!) I know, I know. How un-American. I’ll eat them sometimes if they are really good, but I find that most of the time they just aren’t great, so I’d much rather have a baked potato. Or sweet potato fries. Now sweet potato fries I can get down with.
However, I know they still aren’t very good for you. Kind of like how a plain potato is god for you before you deep fry it and drench it in salt. So I usually just steal a couple of my hubby’s when he’s not looking and call it good. But I do still really love crispy sweet potatoes to accompany my burger (okay, grilled chicken sandwich). So what’s a girl to do?
NOT get out the peanut oil and heavy-bottomed skillet (way too messy), but make these Grilled Sweet Potato Wedges with Avocado Cream Sauce instead! They’re the perfect side dish to go with all of your grilled favorites when you’re craving a crispy sweet potato fry. BUT these are way healthier for you! They are baked in the oven in just a half teaspoon of heart healthy olive oil, and then finished off on the grill for some serious flavor and crispiness. And those beautiful grill marks, because if it doesn’t have marks, did you really even grill?
Oh and the sauce! The avocado cream sauce (which actually has no cream) is ah-mazing! It’s super easy to make. You just blend everything up (I used my Nutribullet ) and you’re ready to dip as soon as those grilled sweet potato wedges come off the grates! Ketchup who?
Since it’s summer and I know you’re going to be grilling approximately 99.9% of weekends for the next couple of months, do yourself a favor and try grilling your sweet potatoes next time. You can thank me later.
Grilled Sweet Potato Wedges with Avocado Cream Sauce are the perfect healthy side to accompany burgers, grilled chicken and more!
- 1 orange sweet potato
- 1 purple sweet potato
- 1/2 tsp olive oil
- Salt and Pepper
- 1 med avocado
- 2 tbsp cilantro leaves
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1/4 cup nonfat plain greek yogurt
- Preheat oven to 400° F. Line a baking sheet with parchment or a silicone baking mat.
- Wash and cut each sweet potato length-wise into 8 wedges. In a large bowl, toss potato wedges with oil, paprika, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Spread wedges evenly on the baking mat and bake for 25 minutes, flipping halfway through.
- While potato wedges are cooking, preheat a grill or grill pan to medium-high heat. Finish baked sweet potato wedges on the grill by grilling for 5 minutes on each side. Serve with Avocado Cream Sauce.
- Blend all ingredients in a food processor or blender until smooth. Refrigerate until ready to serve.