Roasted Poblano and Goat Cheese Sweet Potato Cakes with a delicious Poblano Avocado Crema for dipping are the perfect small bite for summer parties! (gluten-free, vegetarian)
My husband and I love to make tapas for a fun date night at home, so when I heard that this month’s Recipe ReDux theme was small bites, I was super excited. Tapas are a fun way to enjoy a variety of flavors in a single meal, and in the traditional Spanish style, tapas night is a long, relaxing experience best enjoyed with a nice bottle of wine. It’s also a fun way to use up whatever random things you have in your refrigerator!
One of my favorite small bites to make in the summer is a platter of these Roasted Poblano and Goat Cheese Sweet Potato Bites with a Roasted Poblano Avocado Crema for dipping. It’s a super delicious (and secretly healthy) appetizer for any get-together!
The roasted poblano, corn and chipotle add and delicious smokiness to the sweet potato and are complemented perfectly by creamy goat cheese. Plus the delicious avocado dipping sauce with more roasted poblano for dipping these delicious bites in is simply irresistible (I mean, I could eat the stuff with a spoon)!
What’s really great about these yummy southwestern-style sweet potato cakes is that they are actually super healthy! They’re made with vitamin-rich veggies and they’re baked, not fried, so you get all the flavor without a lot of fat. Plus the avocado and greek yogurt make a super creamy dipping sauce sans mayo. And since you bake them all at once, you don’t have to stand in front of the stove flipping potato cakes while you miss out on all the fun. It’s the perfect solution for any party!
If you made this recipe, please leave a star rating in the comments!Print
Roasted Poblano and Goat Cheese Sweet Potato Cakes with Poblano Avocado Crema
Sweet and smoky Roasted Poblano and Goat Cheese Sweet Potato Cakes with a delicious Poblano Avocado Crema for dipping are the perfect small bite for summer parties!
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Total Time: 1 hour 20 minutes
- Yield: about 16 cakes 1x
- Category: appetizer
- Method: oven
- Cuisine: Tex-Mex
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and diced
- 1 poblano pepper
- 1/4 cup corn kernels (fresh or frozen)
- Olive oil cooking spray
- 1/4 cup crumbled goat cheese
- 1/2 tsp chipotle powder
- 3 tbsp cornmeal
- 1 egg, beaten
Roasted Poblano Avocado Crema
- 1/2 medium avocado
- 1/4 cup nonfat plain greek yogurt
- Juice of 1 lime
- remaining 1/2 roasted poblano pepper
- 2 tbsp water
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Place poblano pepper on a small sheet pan lined with foil or parchment. Spread corn kernels on the same pan. Spray with olive oil. Roast in the oven, turning the pepper and stirring the corn halfway through, until the pepper is browned, about 30 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool. Turn oven down to 350°F.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, cover sweet potato cubes with water and bring to a boil. Boil until tender, about 15-20 minutes. Drain and let cool.
- Once pepper is cool enough to handle, gently rub skin to remove it. Cut in half and discard the stem and seeds. Dice one half of the pepper and set aside the other half for the sauce.
- In a large bowl, mash the sweet potatoes with a potato masher or fork. Add diced poblano, corn, chipotle powder, cornmeal, and egg and mix until combined. Gently stir in goat cheese crumbles.
- Line a baking sheet with a silicone baking mat or parchment. Scoop sweet potato mixture by the tablespoon onto the cookie sheet and flatten slightly, repeating until all of the mixture is used up.
- Bake sweet potato cakes 20-30 minutes, flipping halfway though. Turn the oven up to broil and broil for 1-2 minutes, watching carefully so that they do not burn. Remove from oven and serve immediately.
- While sweet potato cakes are cooking, make the Roasted Poblano Avocado Crema: Combine all ingredients in a food processor or bullet, blending until smooth. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
Keywords: sweet potato cakes, poblano avocado crema