This spiced apple skillet cake is the perfect dessert for transitioning into fall! Made with whole wheat flour and 50% less sugar, it’s healthy enough to eat for breakfast!
I received free samples of SPLENDA® Naturals Sugar & Stevia Blend mentioned in this post. By posting this recipe I am entering a recipe contest sponsored by SPLENDA® Sweeteners and am eligible to win prizes associated with the contest. I was not compensated for my time.
When I’m craving a dessert, I normally go for the full sugar, fully satisfying dessert I am craving. I’m not usually a big fan of ‘healthy’ desserts. However, I realize there are a lot of you out there that need to be careful about sugar because of diabetes or prediabetes, but you still like dessert too. This delicious spiced apple skillet cake is for you!
This spiced apple skillet cake is not only full of delicious fall spices and apples, but it’s made healthier with the help of white whole wheat flour, which gives it a nice fluffy texture with whole grain goodness, along with apples, applesauce, and SPLENDA® Naturals Sugar & Stevia Blend, which gives the cake a nice sweetness with less 50% less sugar!
SPLENDA® Naturals Sugar & Stevia Blend is made with only 2 natural ingredients – real cane sugar and stevia, so you still get a nice sweet taste without a bitter aftertaste. It’s a great compromise between 100% sugar and a calorie-free sweetener, and you can use it anywhere you would use sugar, even in baking!
I love this yummy cake with a little scoop of vanilla Greek yogurt on top. It’s the perfect fall dessert for any celebration or occasion, or just for a Tuesday. And it’s made with healthy ingredients, so you could even eat a slice for breakfast! Who wouldn’t want cake for breakfast?
This spiced apple skillet cake is the perfect dessert for transitioning into fall! Made with whole wheat flour and 50% less sugar, it's healthy enough to eat for breakfast!
- 3 apples, any variety
- 1/2 tbsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tbsp SPLENDA® Naturals Sugar & Stevia Blend
- 1 1/3 cups white whole wheat flour
- 1/2 tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp cloves
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup canola or other vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 cup SPLENDA® Naturals Sugar & Stevia Blend
- 2 tbsp orange juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Heat oven to 350°F. Line the bottom of a 10-inch cast iron skillet or other baking dish with parchment (optional) and spray with oil.
- Dice two apples into 1/2-inch cubes. Slice the third apple very thinly for the top of the cake. Alternatively, you can dice all of the apples.
- Toss apples in cinnamon and SPLENDA® Naturals Sugar & Stevia Blend. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves.
- In a separate bowl, whisk eggs, oil, applesauce, SPLENDA® Naturals Sugar & Stevia Blend, orange juice, and vanilla. Add wet ingredients to dry and stir until just combined.
- Pour half of the patter into prepared skillet. Top evenly with diced apples. Pour remaining batter over apples and spread evenly. Arrange sliced apples over the top (or sprinkle evenly with remaining diced apples).
- Bake 30-40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool at least 10 minutes before slicing.
- Serve with a dollop of yogurt, whipped cream, or ice cream.
Love this recipe? PIN it!