Healthy Skillet Apple Cake
This healthy skillet apple cake is the perfect simple dessert for fall! Made with whole wheat flour, loaded with apples and lower in sugar, this perfectly spiced apple cake is healthy enough for breakfast.
- Author: Kaleigh
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Total Time: 55 minutes
- Yield: 10-12 servings 1x
- Category: dessert
- Method: baked
- Cuisine: American
For the cake:
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup oil (I use avocado oil)
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/3 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp fine sea salt
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 1/4 tsp ground cardamom
- 2 small apples, diced
For apple topping:
- 1 apple, thinly sliced
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tbsp sugar
- Heat oven to 350°F. Line the bottom of a 10-inch cast iron skillet or other baking dish with parchment (optional) and/or lightly grease with oil.
- In a large bowl, whisk yogurt, applesauce, oil, sugar, eggs and vanilla until smooth.
- Add flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and spices. Whisk until flour mixture is just mixed in.
- Gently fold in diced apples.
- Pour batter into prepared skillet.
- Thinly slice apple for topping. Place it in a bowl and toss with cinnamon and sugar. Arrange apple slices on top of the cake batter in a single layer.
- Bake about 40 minutes (start checking at 35 minutes) or until center is set. Remove from the oven and cool.
- Serve dusted with powdered sugar or whipped cream (optional).
- You can bake this cake in a round cake pan if you'd rather. You may need to bake a little bit longer if you use an 8 or 9 inch dish.
- Store leftovers in the refrigerator up to 5 days.
Keywords: skillet apple cake, healthy apple cake, easy healthy apple cake, easy apple cake