Apple crumb brown butter blondies contain all of the delicious flavors of apple pie baked into decadent, chewy brown butter blondies topped with sliced apples and with an easy crumb topping. They're the best fall dessert!
Calling all apple lovers! These blondies will be your new best friend for fall. Mr. Table is the ultimate blondie fan, and he requests these apple crumb brown butter blondies on a regular basis. They're the best fall dessert that you'll make over and over, perfect for your fall apple picking haul!
Why You'll Love Apple Crumb Brown Butter Blondies
These delicious blondies have all the delicious flavors of apple pie that you love: fresh apples, cinnamon, and even a crumb topping, but without all the work of actually making an apple pie. And with a chewy, decadent brown butter and brown sugar blondie base that gives them a rich, buttery depth of flavor that is so cozy for fall.
Why Use Brown Butter?
Brown butter is simply butter that has been browned in a pan until it's golden and bubbly. It gives the butter a bit of a nutty taste that is so delicious and decadent in desserts. The extra step is super easy and so worth the extra flavor. It's also crucial for this recipe to work out because some of the moisture evaporates when you brown butter. If you use regular butter, the blondies will have too much liquid and won't set correctly.
How To Make Apple Crumb Brown Butter Blondies
- Brown the butter. In a light-colored pan, heat cubed butter over medium heat, stirring, until it's foamy and sizzling. Once it stops sizzling, immediately remove the pan from the heat. You should see little brown specs on the bottom of the pan.
- Add the sugar to the butter and stir to combine.
- In a large bowl, whisk the flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. Add the sugar mixture, egg and vanilla and stir to mix well.
- Press the blondie mixture into the bottom of an 8-inch baking pan that has been lightly greased or lined with parchment.
- Thinly slice apples and arrange them in a single layer on top of the blondie batter.
- In a small bowl, mix the flour, brown sugar and cinnamon for the crumb topping. Cut in the cold butter with a fork or pastry cutter until crumbs form. Sprinkle the mixture over the apples.
- Bake 27-32 minutes, or until the center is mostly set (it will be barely wobbly). Remove from the oven and cool completely before cutting.
Tips For Making Perfect Blondies
- Don't walk away from the butter as you brown it. It can go from golden and perfect to black and burned very quickly. Listen closely and remove from the heat as soon as it stops sizzling.
- The blondies may appear slightly underdone when you pull them out of the oven. This is normal. They will set up as they cool. If the center looks liquid and very wobbly, keep them in for a few more minutes. But try not to over-bake for the best chewy texture.
- If you don't have white whole wheat flour, you can use all-purpose flour.
- I don't ever peel my apples, but you certainly can if you'd like!
More Apple Desserts You'll Love
- Whole Wheat Apple Walnut Galette
- Easy Spiced Apple Skillet Cake
- Perfect Apple Crumb Pie
- Healthy-ish Lattice Apple Pie
Did you make this recipe? Please leave a star rating in the comments!Print
Apple Pie Brown Butter Blondies
Apple pie brown butter blondies contain all of the delicious flavors of apple pie baked into decadent, chewy brown butter blondies topped with sliced apples and with an easy crumb topping. They're the best fall dessert!
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: 12 blondies 1x
- Category: dessert
- Method: baked
- Cuisine: American
For the Blondies:
- 6 tbsp butter
- ½ cup light brown sugar
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour (or all-purpose)
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 1-2 small apples (any variety)
For the crumb topping:
- 1 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp light brown sugar
- 3 tbsp white whole wheat flour (or all-purpose)
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly grease an 8x8" square baking dish or line the bottom with parchment.
- In a large skillet, heat 6 tbsp butter over medium heat until it is bubbly and starts to turn a caramel brown color. Once the crackling has stopped, remove browned butter from heat and stir in sugars.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. Add egg, vanilla, and butter mixture. Stir until just combined. Press into prepared pan.
- Core apples and slice into ¼-inch slices. Arrange apples in a single layer on top of the blondie batter.
- To make the crumb topping, cut 1 tbsp cold butter into about 4 cubes. Stir together sugar, flour, and cinnamon. Using a fork, 'cut' butter into flour mixture until small crumbs form.
- Sprinkle crumb topping over the top of the apples. Bake 27-32 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool before cutting.
Keywords: apple pie blondies, apple brown butter blondies, apple crumb brown butter blondies