Pear Pecan Cardamom Muffins are tender spiced whole grain muffins stuffed with pears and pecans, topped with a pecan crumb topping. They’re the perfect breakfast or snack to welcome fall. (vegetarian)
Don’t get me wrong, I love a good stack of healthy pumpkin pancakes or a piece of apple pie this time of year, but I’d choose pears every time over pumpkin or apple for my fall flavor of choice. I have no idea where my love of pears came from, since I never really ate them as a kid, but ever since I started eating them, I can’t get enough. And I like it.
These delicious Pear Pecan Cardamom muffins are my first official fall creation this year. (I guess I posted an apple pie a few days ago, but that was before the official start of fall, so that doesn’t count.) While everyone is all, PUMPKIN EVERYTHING, I decided my first contribution would be much more subtle. It is still 80 degrees here in Texas, after all. What better way to invite fall spices and cozy feelings into my home than with a warm, delicious batch of muffins featuring my favorite fall fruit?
And let me tell you, friends, these muffins don’t disappoint one bit. They have all of the fall spice and coziness that you cooler temps have you craving, and they are stuffed full of fresh chunks of sweet pears, crunchy pecans, and wholesome ingredients like oats, whole wheat flour, and Greek yogurt.
OH YEAH, and a pecan crumb topping. The topping alone on these delicious pear muffins is heavenly enough to make you want to eat it, and only it, for the rest of your life. Yes, it is that good, and yes, it will be on repeat on ALL of my fall desserts (and maybe breakfasts?) this season.
If you aren’t quite ready for the pumpkin craze (or perhaps you’re already tired of it if you live in the food blogging world), start out fall with some healthy and absolutely delicious Pear Pecan Cardamom Muffins!
Pear Pecan Cardamom Muffins are Tender spiced whole grain muffins stuffed with pears and pecans, topped with a pecan crumb topping. They're the perfect not-too-sweet breakfast or snack to welcome fall. (vegetarian)
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1 cup rolled oats (not quick-cooking)
- 1/4 cup brown sugar*
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- Pinch salt
- 1 tsp ground cardamom
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 2 egg whites, beaten
- 1 cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce, apple butter or pear butter
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 large pear, cored and diced
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1/4 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup rolled oats
- 1/4 cup finely chopped pecans
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp cardamom
- 3 tbsp butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Line a regular-sized muffin tin with liners or grease with coconut oil. If using liners, spray with oil.
- In a large bowl, whisk together all of the dry ingredients, making sure to break up any clumps. In a separate bowl, combine egg whites, yogurt, applesauce, and vanilla. Stir into dry ingredients until just combined. Gently fold in pears and pecans.
- Scoop batter into muffin tin, filling 2/3 of the way full.
- To make the crumb topping, stir together flour, oats, brown sugar, cardamom and pecans. Pour in melted butter and stir until evenly moistened.
- Sprinkle crumb topping evenly over the top of the muffin batter, gently pressing down.
- Bake muffins 18-20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove from oven and let cool for 10 minutes before removing muffins from the pan to a cooling rack.
- Store in an airtight container for up to 2 days on the counter or up to 5 days in the refrigerator. They can also be frozen and reheated later!
*Increase to 1/2 cup if you prefer a sweeter muffin.
Love this recipe? PIN it!