A healthy and delicious butternut squash fall salad that’s perfect for getting back on track after Thanksgiving!
I know November is the month of Thanksgiving, and everybody is talking turkey, dressing and gravy. Which is all fine and good. Actually, it’s great! I love Thanksgiving. I look forward to it every year! It’s the one time we get to spend 10 hours cooking a giant meal that we only spend 10 minutes actually eating. And then another 10 hours feeling miserably full. But it’s still awesome. Because of all the memories. And the food. And the pie.
But you still have to eat something that is probably not turkey and dressing for the remaining 29 days of November. (Or 26 if you are like me and eat Thanksgiving leftovers for 3 days after Thanksgiving.) That’s where this fall butternut squash salad comes in! It’s full of delicious fall favorites like butternut squash and pomegranate arils. Yummy! And it’s still soft and cozy with sautéed kale and tender baby spinach.
I think there is a time and place for hard crunch kale, but it’s not fall and it’s not in this salad, so I usually sauté my kale for cold weather salads. It’s an extra step, but to me, it’s worth it and makes salads feel a little more cozy while still getting in all the healthy goodness of leafy green veggies!
You can use any dressing you want for this fall butternut squash salad. I like to go with balsamic or a blush wine vinaigrette, although it really doesn’t need much because it’s already full of flavor. Enjoy!
- 1/2 butternut squash, peeled and cubed
- Seeds from squash, rinsed
- 1 1/2 tsp olive oil, divided
- Pinch salt and black pepper
- 2 cups kale
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 cups baby spinach
- Arils from 1/2 pomegranate
- 1/2 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup feta cheese crumbles
- Dressing of choice
- Preheat oven to 400° F. Line a baking sheet with parchment or foil.
- Toss butternut squash cubes in 1 tsp olive oil, salt and pepper. Spread evenly over baking sheet and roast for about 30 minutes or until golden and cooked through, stirring every 10 minutes.
- Turn oven down to 300° F. Using the same baking sheet, toss butternut squash seeds in 1/2 tsp oil and toast until golden, about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, lightly spray a skillet with cooking spray. Heat over medium low heat. Add garlic and kale and sauté until kale is slightly wilted. Remove from heat and let cool.
- In a large bowl, combine spinach, onion, pomegranate, feta, and desired amount of dressing. Add cooled butternut squash, kale, and toasted seeds. Toss lightly to combine and serve.
Nutrition information does not include dressing.