This Warm Fall Harvest Kale Salad with sweet potatoes, figs, apples, and candied pecans is filled with all of the flavors of fall in a warm, delicious salad that you’ll enjoy all season long! (gluten-free, vegetarian, vegan option)
Holy yum, y’all. This Warm Fall Harvest Kale Salad is giving me all the fall feels.
Here I am a week into October, and still no pumpkin in sight. And that’s perfectly okay with me. I feel like pumpkin gets way over-commercialized in September and everyone grows tired of it before one pumpkin patch is even in sight. That’s why I generally wait until October to make any pumpkin recipes, especially since it’s usually pretty warm well into October here in Texas. But all the other fall produce is still fair game, like figs, apples, and sweet potatoes. Yum!
I love making warm kale salads when the weather cools down. I still get a healthy, fiber-filled green salad, but it also feels nice and cozy when it’s cold out. Mr. Table also loves warm kale salads, so I tend to make them more.
This Fall Harvest Kale Salad was a huge hit in our house. I made it two nights in a row because we loved it so much! Warm wilted kale with roasted sweet potatoes, sweet Honeycrisp apples, earthy figs, and crunchy candied pecans all melt together with delicious merlot Bellavitano cheese for a cozy salad with all of the delicious flavors of fall. Topped with a flavorful maple and shallot vinaigrette, this salad is darn near irresistible.
You can make this yummy, warm kale salad as a side dish to go with your favorite fall dinners, or eat it alone. It is hearty enough to be a satisfying main dish, too.
Mr. Table and I absolutely love the merlot Bellavitano cheese paired with the fruit in this salad, but if you can’t find it at your grocery store, a good parmesan or firm white cheddar will stand in well. Of course, if you’re vegan, you can omit the cheese entirely.
For you, pumpkin lovers, don’t worry! I’ve got a pumpkin recipe coming for you soon. That is if you don’t already have pumpkin fatigue. If you do, stick to this Fall Harvest Wilted Kale Salad. It’s a great way to get in some yummy seasonal flavors in the best way!
Did you make this recipe? Please leave a star rating in the comments!Print
Warm Fall Harvest Kale Salad
This Warm Fall Harvest Kale Salad is filled with all of the flavors of fall in a warm, delicious salad that you’ll enjoy all season long! (gluten-free, vegetarian, vegan option)
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 4-6 servings 1x
- Category: salad
- Method: bsked
- Cuisine: American
- 1 medium sweet potato, diced into 1/2-inch cubes
- 4 tsp avocado or olive oil, divided
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- Pinch sea salt
- Pinch freshly cracked pepper
- 1 bunch lacinato kale, roughly chopped
- 1 honeycrisp apple, diced
- 4 fresh figs
- 1 oz Merlot Bellavitano cheese (or a good quality parmesan)*
- 1/4 cup candied pecans
For the dressing:
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 1 tsp pure maple syrup
- 1 tsp minced shallot
- 1 tsp fresh thyme
- Pinch ground cloves
- Pinch sea salt
- Pinch freshly cracked black pepper
- Heat oven to 400°F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchement or silicone baking mats.
- Toss sweet potatoes with 2 tsp of the olive oil, cinnamon, paprika, salt, and pepper. Spread onto one baking sheet and roast 25-20 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes.
- Toss kale with other 2 tsp oil and spread onto other baking sheet. Roast 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile dice apple and cut each fig into 8 pieces by cutting each in half, and then cutting each half into fourths. Grate cheese and prepare candied pecans.
- Whisk together dressing ingredients.
- Add kale, sweet potatoes, apple, figs, cheese and pecans to a large bowl. Toss with dressing and serve.
*omit for vegan
Keywords: warm fall salad, harvest salad, warm kale salad