Fall Butternut Squash Salad
This roasted butternut squash kale and spinach salad with pomegranate, feta, and a maple dijon dressing is so pretty and and perfect for fall. (gluten-free, vegetarian)
- Author: Kaleigh
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: About 8 cups 1x
- Category: salad, side dish
- Method: roasted
- Cuisine: American
- 1/2 medium butternut squash, peeled and cubed
- Seeds from squash, rinsed and dried
- 3 tsp olive oil, divided
- coarse sea salt
- freshly cracked black pepper
- 4 cups kale, thinly sliced
- 4 cups baby spinach
- 1/4 cup pomegranate arils
- 1/4 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup feta cheese crumbles
- Maple Dijon Dressing, to taste
- Preheat oven to 400° F. Line a baking sheet with parchment or a silicone baking mat.
- Toss butternut squash cubes in 2 tsp olive oil, salt and pepper. Spread evenly over baking sheet and roast for about 30 minutes or until golden and cooked through, stirring halfway through.
- Turn oven down to 350° F. Using the same baking sheet, toss butternut squash seeds in 1/2 tsp oil, salt and pepper. Roast until golden, about 10-15 minutes, stirring halfway through.
- Place kale in a large bowl and drizzle with remaining 1/2 tsp olive oil and sprinkle with a pinch of salt. Use your hands to gently massage the kale until softened and shiny, 1-2 minutes.
- Add spinach, onion, pomegranate, feta, butternut squash, and toasted seeds to the bowl. Drizzle with desired amount of dressing. Toss lightly to combine and serve.
- See above for ingredient substitutions.
- Don’t skip massaging the kale. It takes the kale from hard and unpleasant to chew, to tender and delicious! Just drizzle with oil and gently rub with your hands until glistening and softened.
- To make this salad super easy to make, use leftover butternut squash and pomegranate arils that are already out of the fruit.
- If you plan to make this salad ahead, don’t dress it until you’re ready to serve to avoid soggy spinach.
Keywords: butternut squash kale salad, kale spinach salad with butternut squash and pomegranate, fall roasted butternut squash salad