This delicious shredded beet kale salad is loaded with nutritious powerhouses like kale, roasted beets, pumpkin seeds, and dried cherries. It’s the perfect winter salad! (gluten free, vegetarian, vegan option)
I’m loving this salad right now. You may already know that I’m obsessed with beets, and you’ve probably guessed that I love kale salads, but this Shredded Beet Kale Salad is just on a whole other level of delicious.
For one thing, this salad is loaded with shredded roasted beets that turn it a beautiful pink color. It’s also full of chopped kale that’s been messaged in olive oil, sweet dried cherries, pumpkin seeds (pepitas), and salty feta cheese. The result is super flavorful and nutritious salad that’s perfect for beating those winter blues.
Some might even call it a superfood salad. I’m a little hesitant to the word ‘superfood’ though.
While this shredded beet kale salad is definitely loaded with nutrients from kale, beets, and pumpkin seeds, among other delicious and nutrient-dense ingredients, I just don’t like to call anything a superfood. It leads people to think that eating that particular food will undo any negative health behaviors or habitual unhealthy eating. Like one piece of kale or a tablespoon of goji berries will provide enough health benefits to protect against the effects of too much sugar, smoking, or being sedentary. That’s simply not the case.
While it is beneficial to add foods labeled ‘superfoods’ to your diet, especially when they replace foods with little nutritional value, they aren’t magic bullets. You need to eat a balanced diet with a variety of foods and nutrients on a regular basis to be your healthiest. A sugary granola bar with a sprinkle of chia seeds isn’t going to make you live 10 years longer. Sorry!
Superfood or not, this shredded beet kale salad is a delicious way to add lots of nutrients to your diet this winter. Once you start eating it, you won’t be able to stop!
This delicious shredded beet kale salad is loaded with nutritious powerhouses like kale, roasted beets, pumpkin seeds, and dried cherries. It's the perfect winter salad!
- 3-4 small beets, red, golden or both
- 4 kale leaves
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 3 tbsp dried cherries
- 3 tbsp pepitas
- 1/4 crumbled feta cheese*
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- Preheat oven to 400° F. Scrub beets and wrap individually in foil. Roast for 45 minutes- 1 hour. Let cool before handling (I like to roast them the night before).
- Shred cooled beets with a box grater or spiralizer.
- Remove stems from kale leaves and set aside. Cut kale into ribbons and add to a large bowl with the olive oil. Gently massage kale for about 5 minutes.
- Chop kale stems and add to the bowl with messaged leaves. Add remaining ingredients and toss.
- Serve immediately or refrigerate. Can be made up to 1 day ahead of time.
*omit for vegan or dairy-free
Love this recipe? PIN it!