This Whole Wheat Peach Galette is a stunning but effortless summer dessert that's bursting with gorgeous summer peaches! (dairy-free and vegan options)
Although I sometimes say that about every fruit. But that's the beauty of eating in season! The freshest, most delicious fruits are the ones that are growing in season. (psst… they're often less expensive too!)
In the summer, I love making lazy desserts. I just can't really be bothered to make a beautiful, grand lattice pie or lots of cutout cookies. Those are reserved for fall and winter when you want the warmth of being in the kitchen with the oven on for hours.
Summer is for quick, easy, the-less-heat-and-time-spent-the-better desserts. It's for cobblers and popsicles. That's why I love this peach galette. (What is a galette, you ask? It's a pie without the fuss.)
This pretty peach galette has a type of beauty all its own. Sure, it's not shaped into a perfect circle in a pie plate with intricately designed crust, but I kind of like the rustic, misshapen crust and the simplicity of putting it together. One mixing bowl, one sheet pan, and hardly any mess. It’s the beauty of summer captured in a simple yet elegant dessert.
If you'd like to make this glorious summer dessert vegan, sub coconut oil for the butter, use organic cane sugar and skip the egg white brushing. You can also use all-purpose flour if you wish, but the white whole wheat flour gives it a slightly nutty, delicious taste and is so much easier to bake with than traditional red whole wheat flour.
Of course, no pie (or any dessert, for that matter) is complete without a scoop of delicious vanilla ice cream or a dollop of fresh whipped cream. Same goes for my peach galette. So go ahead and top off a warm slice. Heaven.
If you love summer peaches as much as I do, take a peek at these delicious recipes: Grilled Peach Caprese, Healthy Peaches, and Cream Pancakes, Peach Strawberry Burrata Salad, and Peach, Blueberry, and Arugula Omelette.
Did you make this recipe? Please leave a star rating in the comments!Print
Whole Wheat Peach Galette
This Whole Wheat Peach Galette is a stunning but effortless summer peach dessert with a healthy whole wheat crust that's delicious topped with ice cream or whipped cream!
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 6-8 servings 1x
- Category: dessert
- Method: baked
- Cuisine: American
- 1 ¼ cups white whole wheat flour
- 1 stick (½ cup) cold butter or coconut oil
- 2 tbsp sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 egg yolk
- 3 tbsp ice-cold water
- 2-3 medium peaches or nectarines, pitted and sliced
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp cornstarch
For brushing and sprinkling (optional):
- 1 egg white, beaten
- turbinado sugar
- Mix together flour, sugar, and salt. Cut butter into cubes and cut into dough using a pastry cutter or pulse a couple of times in the food processor until butter is smaller than pea sized. Stir in egg yolk.
- Drizzle water over flour mixture and mix or pulse until dough forms into a ball, careful not to over-mix. Wrap in plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator for 10-20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, mix peaches with sugar, cornstarch and vanilla. Let rest while dough is chilling.
- Preheat oven to 425° F. Remove dough from the refrigerator and roll it out into a flat (about ⅛ inch) circle. Place on a baking sheet lines with parchment or a silicone baking mat.
- Arrange fruit in the center of the dough, leaving about a 2-inch border . Gently fold up the edges of the dough all the way around. Brush dough edges with egg white and sprinkle with turbinado sugar.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until dough is golden and filling is bubbly. Remove and cool before cutting, or serve warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream!
Keywords: healthy peach galette, whole wheat galette