Enchiladas are so much more delicious and healthy with homemade green enchilada sauce made with hatch chiles! (gluten-free, dairy-free, vegan option)
If you live in Texas or any of the other Southwestern states, you probably know that enchiladas are a dinner staple around here. They are probably the most iconic Tex-Mex dish. But getting enchiladas out at a restaurant can quickly become unhealthy with all of the cheese and greasy meat that they tend to use, not to mention the super high amount of sodium!
Making enchiladas at home is a healthier way to enjoy them because you can control the amount of fat and sodium that goes into them to some extent. If you use store bought sauce, though, you’ll likely still end up with a sodium-laden can of enchilada sauce that doesn’t taste as fresh as your favorite Tex-Mex restaurant.
That’s why I decided to make my own! This homemade green enchilada sauce is packed full of veggies and spices for tons of flavor without a bunch of added salt or fat. And it’s so simple to make! I just sautéed all of the veggies and then blended everything up in my Nutri Bullet. So easy! And the taste is out of this world. Way better than a can of store bought green enchilada sauce. Using fresh veggies and lots of peppers makes a huge difference and makes the labor of love that is homemade enchiladas so worth it.
If you haven’t tried making green enchilada sauce at home yet, I think you’ll be pleasantly surprised at how little effort it requires, and how much it pays off when you take the first bite! This green enchilada sauce goes wonderfully with spinach or chicken enchiladas (or both) as well as plain cheese or veggie enchiladas. You can also use it on huevos rancheros, chile rellenos or this Chicken Enchilada Quinoa Bake. While you’re at it, whip up a batch of Hatch Chile Margaritas to enjoy with your enchiladas for a delicious (and healthier) homemade Tex-Mex meal!
Homemade Green Enchilada Sauce
Homemade green enchilada sauce is so easy to make and is packed with healthy veggies for a delicious Tex-Mex meal.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: About 4 cups 1x
- Category: Sauce
- Cuisine: Mexican
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1/2 medium onion
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 jalapeno, seeds and stem removed
- 4 roasted hatch chiles, seeds, skin and stems removed (or 3 small cans green chiles)
- Small bunch (about 1/2 cup) cilantro
- 1 to 2 cups chicken or vegetable stock*
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- Pinch salt and pepper
- In a medium skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat. Roughly chop onion, garlic and jalapeno. Add to skillet and cook until soft, about 5 minutes while stirring. Remove from heat.
- Add cooked veggies, 1 cup stock and remaining ingredients to a blender or food processor. Close top loosely and cover with a towel to prevent any leaking and puree until smooth. Add more stock until you reach your desired consistency.
- Pour over enchiladas, chile rellenos, or your other favorite Tex-Mex dishes!
*Use vegetable stock for vegan
Love this recipe? PIN it!