Start your fiesta in the morning with healthy version of Huevos Rancheros. Huevos Rancheros Tostadas are easy, gluten free, and come together easily for a delicious breakfast that is sure to please!
The Cinco de Mayo fiesta continues! It wouldn’t be a true fiesta if you didn’t start in the morning, right?
When my husband and I went to Mexico for our honeymoon, there was an amazing breakfast buffet filled with all sorts of fresh traditional Mexican breakfast dishes as well as a beautiful selection of fresh fruit and fruit juices. They would even make you fresh omelets! But the first day we arrived, we ordered off of the breakfast menu and both ended up getting the Huevos Rancheros. They were to die for. And we immediately needed a nap. Good thing there were lounge chairs on the beach calling our names so we could take a little siesta by the ocean!
Traditionally, Huevos Rancheros is made up of two fried tortillas, a fried egg, and a tomato-chile sauce. Sometimes salsa verde or enchilada sauce is used as well. It’s a large mid-morning meal served with rice and refried beans and is quite the affair. Hence the need for a nap.
My version is lightened up with crispy baked corn tortillas (which are actually considered whole grain!) serving as tostada shells, topped with smashed black beans, a runny egg, and homemade enchilada sauce. It’s all topped however you’d like. I love a slice of avocado and some cilantro, but you can also use fresh jalapeño slices and queso fresco! Served with a side of fresh fruit, it’s a delicious and healthy breakfast that won’t weigh you down. And this way you can enjoy the taste of Huevos Rancheros in the morning without needing a siesta immediately following!
Huevos Rancheros Tostadas are a perfect way to kick off your Cinco de Mayo morning. They will keep you feeling satisfied through to lunch without feeling weighed down and sluggish. That way you are ready to celebrate all day!
Huevos Rancheros Tostadas are easy, gluten free, and come together easily for a delicious breakfast that is sure to please!
- Cilantro leaves
- Queso fresco or feta cheese
- Sliced avocado
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Place tortillas on a baking sheet and toast in the oven for about 10 minutes, flipping once, until they are crispy and golden.
- Heat black beans in a small saucepan over medium heat and mash with a potato masher. Alternately, you can puree the beans and then transfer to saucepan and heat.
- In a second small saucepan, heat enchilada sauce over medium low heat.
- Spray a large nonstick skillet with cooking spray or grease with a little bit of olive oil. Heat skillet to medium heat. Crack eggs, one at a time into pan and cook until whites are done and yolks are slightly runny.
- To assemble tostadas, spread black beans over each tortilla. Top each with an egg, 1-2 tbsp of sauce, and garnish as desired with cilantro, queso fresco or avocado slice.