Fluffy, healthy banana nut pancakes made with heart healthy walnuts are the perfect weekend breakfast to satisfy your sweet tooth! (dairy-free, vegetarian)
What’s for breakfast this weekend? I know you’ve got some bananas lying around, just waiting to be used before they turn into black mushy things that once resembled a fruit, so why not make some healthy banana nut pancakes?
My husband and I make pancakes every Saturday in our house. It’s our favorite weekly tradition. We make a pot of coffee, out on our favorite country playlist, and whip up a big breakfast/brunch of pancakes, eggs, and bacon. It’s actually the only day of the week that my husband makes bacon, so that’s probably why he loves it so much. And our pup loves it, too because he gets some bacon fat on his food… (shh don’t tell)!
Oh, what’s that? You’re trying to eat healthy? Good news for you! Not only are these banana nut pancakes taste deliciously sinful, but they are also filled with healthy, real food ingredients! They start with rolled oats, whole wheat flour, and flax for wholesome whole grain goodness, blended with bananas, egg whites, and heart-healthy walnuts. What could be more perfect? Top them with a touch of maple syrup and sliced bananas, and you’ve got a filling and nutritious breakfast that only tastes indulgent. No bacon required.
To me, bananas are the perfect base for healthy pancakes because they are naturally sweet and add the perfect texture for some soft, fluffy pancakes. You can always leave the nuts out, but I love them for some yummy crunch! And if you’re gluten intolerant, just switch out the wheat flour for some almond flour and you should be good to go!
If you’re trying to eat healthy but still want a delicious breakfast with your family on Saturday morning, you have no more excuses. Get your booty in the kitchen and whip up these healthy banana nut pancakes, asap! Your family will love you, and your tummy will too! For more healthy but delicious pancake inspiration, try quinoa pancakes, apple cinnamon pancakes, red velvet pancakes, or carrot cake pancakes!
Healthy Banana Nut Pancakes
Fluffy, healthy banana nut pancakes made with heart healthy walnuts, oats, and whole wheat flour are the perfect sweet weekend breakfast!
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
- Total Time: 10 minutes
- Yield: About 12 pancakes
- Category: Breakfast
- 1 medium banana, mashed
- 3 egg whites
- 1 cup rolled or quick cook oats
- 1/4 cup whole wheat flour (sub almond flour for gluten free)
- 2 tbsp ground flax seed
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 3/4 to 1 cup club soda or milk of choice
- 1/3 cup walnut pieces
- Sliced bananas, maple syrup, or whipped cream for topping
- Grind oats in a blender or food processor until they are the consistency of flour. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, mash banana with a fork. Beat in egg whites. Stir in remaining ingredients. You may have to adjust the amount of club soda or milk used to make the batter your desired consistency as the oats soak up the liquid.
- Spray or lightly oil a preheated skillet pan or griddle. Pour about 1/4 cup of batter onto hot griddle for each pancake. Let cook until you see bubbles forming in the batter’s surface. When the bottom is golden, flip and cook until the other side is cooked through, about a minute. Repeat with remaining batter.
- Top pancakes with maple syrup, honey, sliced bananas, or walnuts.
Love this recipe? PIN it!