Whole grain, healthy carrot cake pancakes with a lightened up cream cheese frosting are packed with everything you love about carrot cake, but made with real food, good-for-you ingredients! (gluten-free and dairy-free options)
What kind of carrot cake person are you? If you’re anything like me, you love it loaded with all the good stuff: nuts, raisins, coconut, tons of carrots, and of course a delicious cream cheese frosting! Carrot cake isn’t the same any other way. If you’re a more plain-Jane carrot cake kind of person, this is not the recipe for you. But if you love carrot cake full of all the goodies that make carrot cake irresistible, you will adore these Healthy Carrot Cake Pancakes!
My husband’s favorite cake is carrot, so I came up with these last year when we spent Easter at the lake with my family. Growing up, we spent every Easter there. Our tradition was to go on a walk along the dirt road and pick the long green grass and tons of colorful wildflowers and my sister and brother and I would make Easter nests at the foot of a large tree by the house. Then in the morning, the Easter Bunny would leave us a surprise in our nests. Then we’d eat a big breakfast, smoke a brisket all day and cook potato salad and beans while we waited to have an Easter egg hunt. It was such a fun tradition. So when we went back for Easter last year, I knew I wanted to make a special breakfast treat for everyone. These healthy carrot cake pancakes were a big hit!
These pancakes are truly loaded, with tons of carrots, raisins, pecans and coconut for a decadent treat that’s secretly healthy! They are made using ground oats and whole wheat flour for some whole grain goodness. The sweet cream cheese frosting made with protein packed greek yogurt means the pancakes themselves don’t need any sweetening. It’s a perfect breakfast to share with your family on Easter morning, no matter what your tradition is. And you can feel good about feeding you kids this cake, knowing it’s made with healthy ingredients!
Feel free to sub your favorite gluten-free flour for the whole wheat flour for a gluten-free treat, or use you favorite dairy-free cream cheese and yogurt to make these dairy-free. And if you are a plain-Jane carrot cake kind of person, watch out. These healthy carrot cake pancakes just might bring you over to the dark side!
What are your family’s Easter traditions? Let me know in the comments below!
Healthy Carrot Cake Pancakes
Whole grain, healthy carrot cake pancakes with a lightened up cream cheese frosting are packed with everything you love about carrot cake, but made with real food, good-for-you ingredients!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 12 4" pancakes 1x
- Category: Breakfast
- 1 cup rolled oats, ground*
- 1/4 cup whole wheat flour (or flour of choice)*
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp ground flax seed, optional
- pinch salt
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 cup egg whites, beaten
- 2 tsp vanilla exract
- 1 – 1 1/2 cups club soda (or milk of choice)
- 2 large carrots, shredded (about 1 cup)
- 1/4 cup finely chopped pecans
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
- coconut oil, for cooking surface
For Coconut Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 1 oz cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup nonfat plain greek yogurt
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 tbsp powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
- Grind oats in a blender or food processor. In a large bowl, mix dry ingredients.
- Add egg whites, vanilla and 1 cup club soda or milk. Mix well and add additional milk or club soda if necessary to reach desired consistency. Batter will thicken as it stands.
- Stir in shredded carrots, pecans, coconut and raisins.
- Heat a large skillet or griddle to 350° F. Rub a small amount of coconut oil over the surface. Pour 1/4 cup batter onto heated griddle, spreading with bottom of the cup or a spoon if necessary. Cook until bubbles appear on the surface and edges start to dry, about 2 minutes. Flip and cook an additional 2 minutes or until lightly golden. Repeat with remaining batter.
- Meanwhile, prepare frosting: Whisk together cream cheese, yogurt, vanilla and powdered sugar. Stir in coconut.
- Serve pancakes with Coconut Cream Cheese Frosting or maple syrup.
*Use gluten-free if necessary
Love this recipe? PIN it!