This deliciously moist healthy banana nut bread, studded with walnuts and made with greek yogurt and whole wheat flour, is the perfect breakfast treat or snack. (vegetarian)
Is there any better smell than that of banana bread baking in the oven? It’s just heavenly. The smell of sweet bananas with just a hint of cinnamon in a delicious loaf that entices you for an hour is just intoxicating. I sometimes buy a few too many bananas knowing I won’t eat them just so I can bake a loaf.
Though it’s easy for me to let bananas get to the perfect overripe stage that’s perfect for banana bread. I usually won’t eat them on their own unless they are just between green and yellow.
However, when they get to that brown mushy state, it’s always perfectly wonderful for me (and Mr. Table even more so) because we know banana chocolate chip muffins or banana nut pancakes are in our near future. Though the best use is always this healthy banana nut bread.
Of course, you can always freeze your overripe bananas without the peel and thaw them out later, but why would you when you can make this delicious and healthy banana bread now?! The recipe is super easy. All you need is one bowl, one pan, and enough patience to wait for this sweet, heavenly banana bread to cook!
In the natural Lively Table way, I had to make my banana nut bread healthier using greek yogurt, whole wheat flour, and just enough sugar to maintain the integrity of a good banana bread recipe. I’ve tried some healthier recipes that just don’t taste good, while others taste delicious but they are made with 3 sticks of butter and enough sugar to induce a coma. I think this recipe is the perfect compromise. It’s lightened up enough to feel good, while still tasting AH-mazing. And of course, it’s a great excuse to bake with those brown bananas!
I hope you enjoy my banana bread recipe as much as Mr. Table and I do!
Did you make this recipe? Please leave a star rating in the comments!Print
Healthy Banana Nut Bread
This deliciously moist, healthy banana nut bread made with Greek yogurt and whole wheat flour is the perfect breakfast or snack treat for using up those brown bananas! (vegetarian)
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 12 servings 1x
- Category: breakfast
- Method: baked
- Cuisine: American
- 3 medium bananas, mashed
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 cup nonfat plain greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup vegetable or avocado oil
- 1 1/4 cups white whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- Pinch nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 325° F. Grease a 9 x 5″ loaf pan.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer (or a large bowl with hand mixer), combine mashed bananas, sugar, eggs, vanilla, yogurt, and oil. Beat on medium speed until combined.
- Sift in flour, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt. Mix on low until just combined. Gently stir in walnuts.
- Pour batter into greased pan. Bake 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool in the pan for 10 minutes before removing to a cooling rack. Enjoy!
Keywords: healthy banana bread, banana nut bread