Easy crockpot carnitas is made from lean pork loin in the slow cooker, then broiled or pan-seared slightly for crispy, flavorful pork carnitas! (gluten-free, dairy-free)
I have to start this post with an apology. I feel like I've let y'all down. Born and raised a Texan, and having lived in Texas my whole life, I've enjoyed more than my fair share of tacos, from the traditional Tex-Mex ground beef with a crunchy shell that my mom used to make, all the way to the gourmet fusion-y masterpieces from the chefs of Dallas.
Yet, I only have ONE taco recipe on my site! It's quite embarrassing, and I am truly sorry for my lack of taco recipes. It's inexcusable, really. (I guess I have a fajita recipe, but that's not really tacos.)
This is why I'm sharing another taco recipe with you today in an attempt to up my recipe index's taco game. It's one of my all-time favorites, and now, it's a little healthier. AND it's made in the crockpot. Today I'm sharing my recipe for Healthy Crock Pot Carnitas.
These crockpot carnitas are the same deliciously flavorful shredded chunks of tender pork with crispy outsides, but they're less greasy and fatty. How is that possible, you ask? Well, for one thing, they're made with a center-cut pork loin rather than the traditional rump roast or shoulder. They're also slow-cooked in the crockpot until they're ultra-tender, then placed under the broiler (or crisped in a skillet) for those crispy edges that make carnitas so delicious. It's kind of like magic.
The beauty of this crockpot carnitas, and really any tacos, is that you can totally customize them any way you like. I love a fresh, warm corn tortilla, cilantro, quick-pickled red onion, and diced avocado. But feel free to use any kind of tortilla you prefer and top with anything and everything that makes a taco great for you!
While you make this crockpot carnitas and bask in the heavenly smell while they slow-cook for hours, I'm going to try and scrounge up some more taco recipes for y'all to enjoy. Deal?
Did you make this recipe? Please leave a star rating in the comments!Print
Healthy Crock Pot Carnitas
Easy crockpot carnitas are made from lean pork loin in the slow cooker, then broiled or pan-seared slightly for crispy, flavorful pork carnitas! (gluten-free, dairy-free)
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 6 hours
- Total Time: 6 hours 10 minutes
- Yield: 10-12 servings 1x
- Category: main dish
- Method: crockpot
- Cuisine: Mexican
- 3 lb center cut pork loin roast
- 1 small orange, sliced
- 1 small yellow onion, sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, smashed
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 ½ teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon oregano (Mexican oregano if you can find it)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Place orange and onion slices in the bottom of your slow cooker. Add garlic and bay leaf.
- Trim any excess visible fat off of the pork roast. In a small bowl, combine remaining spices. Rub spice mixture all over the outside of the roast. Rub with olive oil and place in the slow cooker.
- Cook on low 5-6 hours or until pork easily shreds.
- Place pork on a foil-lined baking sheet, discarding bay leaf and orange pieces. Place under the broiler for 3-5 minutes, or until pieces become crispy, watching carefully to prevent burning. Pour juices form the crockpot over the meat and stir.
- Alternately, you can crisp pork in a cast iron skillet on the stove. Heat 1 tablespoon oil on medium heat and add shredded pork. Cook until meat gets crispy. Pour over juices from the crockpot and stir.
- Serve carnitas with warm corn tortillas, on a salad or in a burrito bowl.
Keywords: crock pot carnitas, easy carnitas