Take guacamole to a new level with this savory caramelized onion guacamole! It’s the perfect appetizer to go with any Mexican dish! (vegan, gluten-free, nut-free)
If you’ve been following my blog for a while, you know that my absolute favorite holiday is coming up – Cinco de Mayo!
Born and raised Texan, I’ll take any chance I can get to celebrate with my favorite type of food (Mexican, duh). Though I won’t be drinking any margaritas this year, I will have tons to celebrate this May 5. (But you can still drink a marg for me, ok?)
This Cinco de Mayo will be my baby shower for our sweet little girl, and it will also be my induction into the Daughters of the American Revolution. So instead of having a fiesta this year, I’ll be brunching derby-style with some fellow Daughters (May 5 is also the Kentucky Derby this year), then celebrating the soon-to-be arrival of my first baby girl! (Don’t worry, I’ll most likely eat Mexican food May 4 and May 6. I take every chance I can get to eat good Tex-Mex when I’m in the DFW area.)
But just because I won’t be having a Cinco de Mayo fiesta this year, doesn’t mean you shouldn’t. In fact, I strongly encourage it! And I’ve got the perfect recipe for you to add to your Mexican food lineup. You HAVE to make this caramelized onion guacamole.
When I made this caramelized onion guacamole for the first time, my husband, not knowing it was a special version, said that it was the best guac I’d ever made. And I’ve made A LOT of guacamole. It is that darn good.
I’m a firm believer that caramelized onions can make anything taste a thousand times better. And while caramelizing onions takes a little time, the end result is always worth it. In this case, the result is the most heavenly guacamole you will ever eat. Promise.
Do me a favor this Cinco de Mayo, and enjoy ALL the Mexican food for me. And alongside the fajitas, enchiladas, and margaritas, make room for this caramelized onion guacamole on your table. It will change your life. Seriously. Enjoy!
Take guacamole to a new level with this savory caramelized onion guacamole! It's the perfect appetizer to go with any Mexican dish! (vegan, gluten-free, nut-free)
- 2 tsp avocado* or olive oil
- 1/4 small yellow onion, diced
- 2 small avocados
- Juice from 1/2 lime
- Pinch salt
- Pinch garlic powder
- In a small nonstick skillet, heat oil over low heat. Add onions and cook on lowest setting, stirring, until onions are caramelized, about 20 minutes.
- Cut avocados in half lengthwise and remove pits. Scoop flesh onto a small plate. Squeeze lime juice over avocados and sprinkle with salt and garlic powder. Use a fork to mash avocados.
- Once onions are done, let cool to room temperature, then stir into mashed avocado.
- Stir in any other toppings you'd like, such as jalapeno, cilantro, or tomatoes.
- Serve immediately, or press a sheet of plastic wrap on top and refrigerate until ready to serve, up to 3 hours.
I use Chosen Foods Avocado Oil. Use code LIVELYTABLE20 for 20% off your order.
Love this recipe? PIN it!