Gluten free mini strawberry rhubarb tarts with a simple pecan crust and a delicious strawberry rhubarb filling are the perfect tiny springtime dessert!
Can I let you in on a little secret? I had never tried rhubarb before a couple of weeks ago. Actually I didn’t even know what it was before last year. Sure I’d heard the term ‘rhubarb pie’ but it was always one of those elusive foods, like a mincemeat pie. Is that really a thing? Mincemeat?
This spring, I set out on a quest for ingredients for a spring produce spotlight over at Nutritioulicious, and finally set eyes on real rhubarb. Eating it was a different story. After I took photos for the blog post, the rhubarb sat in my fridge for a good week, getting shuffled around when I needed to get to the eggs or the artichokes. But since I’m trying to be more conscious of food waste, I decided I’d better use that rhubarb before it went bad. And what better use than rhubarb pie? That’s all I’d ever heard of it being used for. I decided to play it safe and go with a classic combo and pair it with strawberries, and make them into adorable mini tarts, just in case rhubarb tasted awful.
It did not taste awful. In fact, these mini strawberry rhubarb tarts were so delicious that I made them again two days later! The pecan and oat crust provided an excellent crunchy, nutty contrast to the sweet fruity filling, and the ratio of crust to filling (very important, in my opinion) was just perfect!
These tiny tarts are delicious with a tiny scoop of fresh whipped cream or vanilla ice cream on top. I will definitely be making these many times in the near future, and now I can say I not only have cooked with rhubarb, but I like it! If you’re baffled by rhubarb, start out with these mini strawberry rhubarb tarts, and you’ll be rhubarb pro in no time!
Did you make this recipe? Please leave a star rating in the comments!Print
Mini Gluten-Free Strawberry Rhubarb Tarts
Mini gluten-free strawberry rhubarb tarts with a simple pecan crust and a delicious strawberry rhubarb filling are the perfect tiny springtime dessert!
- Prep Time: 30 min
- Cook Time: 30 min
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: 6-8 mini tarts 1x
- Category: dessert
- Method: baked
- Cuisine: American
For the Crust:
- 1 1/2 cups pecans
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 4 tbsp butter, melted
For the Filling:
- 1 1/4 cup strawberries, chopped
- 3/4 cup rhubarb, diced
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 tbsp water
- Combine all filling ingredients, except for cornstarch and water, in a large bowl and let rest for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grind pecans, oats and sugar in a food processor until small crumbs form. Blend in butter and pulse until combined. Press crust mixture into mini tart pans. Place on a cookie sheet. Bake crusts for 15 minutes.
- In a small saucepan, heat the filling mixture over low heat, covered, and simmer lightly for about 10 minutes. Remove lid and simmer another 10 minutes.
- Mix cornstarch and water to form a slurry. Add to strawberry mixture and stir. Simmer filling until thickened. Remove from heat and cool slightly.
- Scoop filling mixture into baked tart crusts. Cool before serving.
Keywords: strawberry rhubarb tart, gluten free strawberry tart