Healthy, sweet Strawberry Rhubarb Chia Jam is made with just 5 ingredients, no pectin, and is loaded with fiber and summer strawberry rhubarb flavor. Spread it and spoon it on everything this season! (gluten-free, vegan)
Now that rhubarb has almost disappeared from the market again, I’ve finally got a yummy strawberry rhubarb recipe up for you this year… better late than never, right?
I was in love with the filling from my gluten-free Strawberry Rhubarb Tartlets last year. So sweet with a hint of tart, and such a gorgeous red color. I couldn’t help eating it by the spoonful! So I decided to make that luscious filling into Strawberry Rhubarb Jam Chia Jam this year.
Most of the time I make my jam the traditional way with pectin and a little sugar, then can it to save for later. While I truly enjoy this process, I still have tons of strawberry and wild plum jam from last year, and I just haven’t had the time for a full canning day. Enter chia jam.
Chia jam is a much easier way to make jam with just a few ingredients and way less time. The chia seeds absorb the liquid and swell up, leaving a lovely jam consistency without the use of pectin. They also add a nice dose of fiber and omega-3s for a little nutrition boost!
This strawberry rhubarb chia jam is simply delicious. It takes great spread on toast or swirled into yogurt or oatmeal. You can also use it with your favorite nut butter to make a fabulous grown up PB&J. Oooh, and it would be so yummy warmed up and drizzled over some ice cream! The options are endless!
Store your strawberry rhubarb chia jam in the refrigerator up to a week (if it lasts that long) or place it in the freezer for a summery treat any time of the year.
Strawberry Rhubarb Chia Jam
Healthy, sweet Strawberry Rhubarb Chia Jam is made with just 5 ingredients, no pectin, and is loaded with fiber and summer strawberry rhubarb flavor.
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: 2 1/2 cups
- Category: condiment
- 2 cups diced strawberries
- 1 1/2 cups diced rhubarb (about 2 stalks)
- 1/3 cup honey (use maple syrup or agave nectar for vegan)
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 3 tbsp chia seeds
- In a small saucepan, bring strawberries, rhubarb, and honey to a gentle simmer. Cook, covered, about 10-15 minutes, stirring frequently, until strawberries are soft. Mash lightly with a fork or potato masher.
- Add lemon juice and chia seeds and stir. Continue cooking while stirring, uncovered, 20-25 minutes, or until thickened. Jam will continue to thicken as it cools.
- Pour into jars or other containers with lids and store in the refrigerator up to 1 week.
Love this recipe? PIN it!