A crisp and refreshing white linen cocktail made with gin, elderflower liquor, cucumber, lime, and soda is the perfect drink for your spring and summer.
If you're looking for a no-fuss, low sugar cocktail suitable for the slow, lazy days of summer, I've got the perfect drink for you. This cocktail feels sophisticated, yet simple, and is perfect for hot days. Grab your spouse or best friend and head out to your patio for this refreshing white linen cocktail!
What Is a White Linen?
A white linen is a gin cocktail made with elderflower liqueur (St. Germain), lime, cucumber and soda water. It can also be made with Sprite in place of soda for more sweetness. I first had a version at R+D Kitchen, when, after describing the kind of cocktail I preferred (gin, crisp, not too sweet), the bartender made it for me. I knew I had to recreate it at home!
Why You'll Love This White Linen Cocktail
If you prefer crisp, clean cocktails with very little sweetness, a white linen is for you! It's a little tart with botanical notes, and isn't too sweet. It's wonderfully refreshing for hot summer days, and with only 5 simple ingredients, it's quick and easy to whip up!
- Gin - I like Tanqueray or Hendricks
- Elderflower liqueur, such as St. Germain
- Soda or sparkling water
How To Make It
- Muddle sliced cucumber in the bottom of a cocktail shaker.
- Add lime juice, elderflower liqueur, gin, and ice.
- Shake to combine, then strain into ice-filled glasses.
- Top each with soda (I use about 2 ounces per drink).
- Optional: Garnish with cucumber and lime slices.
Tips and Recipe Variations
- Adjust the amounts of lime juice and St. Germain to suit your taste. You can also add more soda for a lighter drink or less soda for a stiffer drink.
- If you like a sweeter drink, feel free to use Sprite instead of soda. You could also add a touch of simple syrup for sweetness.
- Try lemon instead of lime, as one reader suggested!
More Gin Cocktails You'll Love
- Spiced Grapefruit Gin and Tonic
- Blackberry Gin and Jam Cocktail
- Lavender French 75
- Pear Collins Cocktail
If you make this recipe, be sure to leave a star rating in the comments!Print
White Linen Cocktail
A crisp and refreshing white linen cocktail made with gin, elderflower liquor, cucumber, lime and soda is the perfect drink for spring and summer.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 0 minutes
- Total Time: 5 minutes
- Yield: 1 drink 1x
- Category: cocktails
- Method: no cook
- Cuisine: American
- 5-6 cucumber slices
- ½ oz fresh squeezed lime juice
- 1 ½ oz gin
- ½ oz elderflower liqueur (such as St. Germain)
- 2 oz (more or less to taste) soda or sparkling water
- Optional: cucumber slices and lime slices for garnish
- Muddle cucumber slices in a shaker.
- Add ice, lime juice, gin, and elderflower liqueur and shake.
- Strain mixture into a cocktail glass filled with ice. Top with soda and stir. Garnish with lime and cucumber slices, if you wish. Enjoy!
- If you prefer a sweet cocktail, you can add simple syrup to taste, or use Sprite in place of soda.
To make a pitcher:
- Slice 1 cucumber and place in a pitcher with 3 oz lime juice, 9 oz gin, and 3 oz elderflower liqueur. Refrigerate 1-2 hours. Add 12 oz soda just before serving. Pour into glasses filled with ice. (Serves 6)
Keywords: white linen cocktail, white linen drink, white linen gin cocktail
This post was originally published May 25, 2017 and has been updated.