Salads don't have to be cold or boring! This delicious warm eggplant, mushroom and kale salad with tangy goat cheese, walnuts and balsamic vinaigrette is the perfect side dish for cold weather! (gluten-free, vegetarian)
It's finally starting to feel like fall! Hopefully, it won't warm back up to 100° next week. While I won't be pulling out the sweaters or pumpkin spice any time soon, I'm ready to embrace some fall comfort foods. One of my go-to salads for cooler months is a warm kale salad, like this roasted eggplant, mushroom and kale salad.
Why You'll Love This Warm Eggplant, Mushroom, and Kale Salad
This roasted eggplant salad is the perfect cozy fall salad. It is served warm straight from the oven with fall flavors like thyme and balsamic vinegar, with creamy goat cheese that makes the mushrooms, kale, and eggplant so comforting and perfect for cooler temperatures when a cold salad just sounds dreadful. If a salad were ever comfort food, this would be it.
How To Make Eggplant and Mushroom Warm Kale Salad
- Preheat the oven to 400°F and line two baking sheets with parchment or silicone baking mats.
- Chop eggplant, mushrooms and kale and toss them in olive oil.
- Spread the mushrooms and eggplant on one baking sheet, and the kale and walnuts on the other.
- Roast the eggplant and mushrooms for 20 minutes, stirring halfway through. Roast the kale for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the dressing by heating the balsamic, honey, olive oil and garlic in a small saucepan until thickened. Remove the garlic and stir in pepper to taste.
- Remove the vegetables from the oven and add to a large bowl. Toss with dressing goat cheese and thyme. Sprinkle with salt to taste and serve warm!
- If you don't want to mess with making the dressing, a drizzle of balsamic vinegar works just fine too! Or you could use your favorite balsamic vinaigrette. Whatever you’d like.
- For vegan, omit the goat cheese and substitute the honey for maple syrup.
What To Serve With This Warm Kale Salad
I like to serve this salad with roasted bone-in chicken or pork loin but experiment with what you like. You can also make it a vegetarian meal by throwing in some roasted chickpeas or tofu or topping with a poached egg. If you decide to meal prep, whip up your favorite whole grain to serve it with.
More Delicious Fall Kale Salads
- Fall Kale Salad with Sorghum, Apples and Pears
- Delicata Squash Wild Rice Kale Salad
- Fall Harvest Warm Kale Salad
- Roasted Eggplant Quinoa Salad with Kale
- Butternut Squash Kale Salad
Did you make this recipe? Please leave a star rating in the comments!Print
Warm Eggplant, Mushroom and Kale Salad
Salads don't have to be cold or boring! This delicious warm eggplant, mushroom and kale salad with tangy goat cheese, walnuts and balsamic vinaigrette is the perfect side dish for cold weather! (gluten-free, vegetarian
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 4-6 servings 1x
- Category: side dish
- Method: roasted
- Cuisine: American
- 2 tablespoon olive oil, divided
- ½ large eggplant (about 4 cups)
- 1 pint cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 4 cups roughly chopped kale
- ½ cup walnuts
- ¼ cup goat cheese, crumbled
- 4 sprigs thyme, leaves removed
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 2 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ teaspoon honey
- Freshly cracked black pepper to taste
- Sea salt to taste
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment or silicone baking mats.
- Cut eggplant into uniform 1 inch cubes. Wash mushrooms and thickly slice mushrooms. Toss with 1 tablespoon of the olive oil and spread onto one of the baking sheets.
- Roughly chop kale into uniform pieces and toss with remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Spread onto other baking sheet, leaving a little space for the walnuts.
- Add walnuts to the baking sheet with the kale in a single layer.
- Roast kale 10 minutes or until crispy but not burned.
- Roast eggplant and mushrooms 20 minutes, stirring halfway through. Let vegetables cool slightly before handling.
- Meanwhile, prepare the dressing. In a small saucepan, combine garlic, balsamic, oil and honey. Heat on low until thickened, about 10 minutes. Remove garlic cloves and stir in cracked pepper to taste. Set aside.
- In a large bowl combine roasted vegetables, dressing, walnuts, goat cheese, and thyme. Gently stir and sprinkle with salt to taste. Serve immediately.
- If you don't feel like making the dressing, you can use your favorite balsamic vinaigrette, or a drizzle of balsamic vinegar and olive oil.
- For vegan, omit goat cheese, and substitute maple syrup for the honey.
Keywords: warm kale salad, eggplant mushroom and kale salad, roasted eggplant and mushroom salad