Spinach Artichoke Chicken will be your family's new favorite dinner! Pan-seared chicken breasts in a creamy spinach and artichoke sauce that takes only one skillet and 30 minutes. (gluten-free)
You know that old saying, "When life gives you artichokes…?"
No? Just me? Oh, right. Lemons. Whatever. Life gave me a boatload of artichokes recently, so that's my current adage.
More accurately, Ocean Mist Farms gave me a boatload of artichokes to use in a recent recipe, and after I used about 4, I still had a fridge full of artichokes. Not that I'm complaining, but one person can only eat so many 'chokes before they go bad.
So after giving a few away to my parents who love 'em, I did what people have been doing for centuries with an abundance of produce, and instead of letting my artichokes go bad, I canned them to use for later dinners. Problem solved! Did it suck cleaning and processing about 20 artichokes? Yep, sure did. I won't lie about that. But now I have so many jars of artichoke hearts in my pantry just waiting to be used at a moment's notice in delicious dinners like this Spinach Artichoke Chicken.
Now, my story could be about making the best out of your situation, as when you make lemonade out of lemons. But no, a boatload of artichokes that arrive at your doorstep is a good thing, and certainly not a bad situation that needs to be made good. No, my story is about this: Don't waste opportunities. Life will give them to you sometimes. And it might seem like hard work to reap the benefits, but there will be benefits. You just have to make up your mind if those benefits are worth it. If the benefit is something that is valuable to you, muster up the strength and put in the work. There is nothing better than the benefit earned by honest work, my friends.
A stretch of a story for this delicious and seemingly simple recipe? Maybe. But I still think it's a meaningful story none the less.
Yes, a creamy, healthy and delicious Spinach Artichoke Chicken dinner that can be made in 30 minutes, all thanks to my effort canning some beautiful artichokes that I received for free. If you aren't so lucky, canned artichoke heart quarters will do just fine, of course.
Serve this delicious Spinach Artichoke Chicken with a green salad or roasted vegetable, and a whole-grain side for a complete meal. I promise your family will love it, and they'll love you for making it!
Lesson learned here? When life gives you artichokes, don't take those suckers for granted!
Did you make this recipe? Please leave a star rating in the comments!Print
Spinach Artichoke Chicken
Spinach Artichoke Chicken will be your family's new favorite dinner! Pan seared chicken breasts in a creamy spinach and artichoke sauce that takes only one skillet and 30 minutes. (gluten-free)
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Category: main dish
- Method: baked, stovetop
- Cuisine: American
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp freshly cracked black pepper
- 2 tsp cornstarch, divided
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 cup dry white wine (or chicken broth)
- ½ cup parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- 1 oz reduced fat cream cheese
- 1 cup artichoke heart quarters
- 2 cups baby spinach
- Fresh basil (optional)
- Heat oven to 375°F. Cut chicken breasts in half crosswise into 2 cutlets each. Sprinkle chicken with salt, pepper, and 1 tsp of the cornstarch.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick or cast iron skillet over medium heat. Cook chicken 3-4 minutes on each side until lightly browned. Remove to a plate.
- Turn heat to low and add garlic to skillet. Cook about 30 seconds, stirring. Add wine and continue to simmer about 5 minutes.
- In a small bowl, mix parmesan cheese with remaining 1 tsp cornstarch. Add parmesan and cream cheese to skillet with wine and whisk to combine. Add artichoke hearts and spinach and stir.
- Add chicken back to skillet. Place in the oven to finish cooking, about 10 minutes or until internal temperature of chicken reaches 165°F. Remove from oven and sprinkle with basil (optional).
Keywords: spinach chicken, artichoke chicken