Spanish cauliflower rice is easy to prepare, delicious, and nutritious. It's the perfect side dish for lunch or dinner, or it can be served as a light main course. With a few simple ingredients and minimal time in the kitchen, this Spanish version of cauliflower rice will become your go-to recipe when you're looking for something quick but flavorful.
Why You'll Love this Spanish Cauliflower Rice
This Spanish cauliflower rice recipe is easy to make and the perfect side dish for any Mexican meal. Cauliflower rice made with the classic Spanish rice flavoring adds freshness to your dinner.
This dish is full of veggies and nutrients, such as vitamin C and fiber for an added boost in nutrition. It's also low in calories and fat, making it a healthy choice for those trying to watch their weight or eat healthier.
Because it is made with vegetable stock and no animal products, this Spanish cauliflower rice is vegetarian and vegan friendly. You can also use this recipe for meal prepping.
Is this Recipe Healthy?
This Spanish cauliflower rice is made of vegetables, olive oil, and seasonings, so it is healthy. A diet rich in vegetables can have positive effects on blood pressure, heart health, cancer prevention, and digestion.
The cauliflower is high in fiber, vitamin C, vitamin B6, folate, vitamin K, and potassium. It also contains antioxidants and phytonutrients that help prevent cancer. Olive oil is high in monounsaturated fats (the good fat). And curcumin, the active ingredient in turmeric, is an antioxidant and fights inflammation in your body.
How to Make Spanish Cauliflower Rice
- Grate the cauliflower. The easiest way to do this is to cut the head of cauliflower in half. Place one half at a time inside a bowl with the grater. Grate it to form the cauliflower "rice." Repeat with the other half.
- Press the garlic cloves with a garlic press or mince with a knife.
- Finely dice the onion.
- Heat the olive oil in a pan over medium heat. Add the garlic and onion and saute until golden and fragrant.
- If your spices are whole, crush them with a food processor or mortar and pestle.
- Add the cauliflower rice, spices, and tomato paste to the pan. Mix well. Stir in the vegetable stock.
- Cook for around 10 minutes until the vegetable stock has been absorbed.
- Serve with fresh chopped cilantro on top and lime wedges on the side.
Tips and Variations for Spanish Cauliflower Rice
Spanish cauliflower rice is a versatile dish that can be adapted to suit any flavor palette.
- If you prefer something spicier, try adding chili flakes, cayenne pepper, or jalapenos (the more seeds in the jalapeno, the spicier).
- Add vegetables, such as bell peppers or mushrooms, for added flavor, texture, and nutrition.
- For a Mediterranean twist, toss in some olives, sun-dried tomatoes, and capers.
- Incorporate fresh herbs like parsley or oregano to give the dish added flair.
- Use Spanish cauliflower rice as a bed for proteins, such as chicken or shrimp.
- Use a food processor to grate the cauliflower quicker. Cut the head of cauliflower into florets and pulse the florets until they resemble small grains of rice.
More Vegetable Side Dish Recipes
- Butternut Squash Noodles
- Simple Roasted Sweet Potatoes
- Maple Dijon Roasted Carrots with Goat Cheese and Walnuts
- Easy Oven Broiled Asparagus
Spanish Cauliflower Rice FAQs
You can store leftover Spanish cauliflower rice in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 5 days.
Yes, Spanish cauliflower rice is a great option for those following a low-carb diet. It is a low-carb alternative to white or brown rice. Cauliflower is low in carbohydrates and rich in fiber, making it an excellent choice for people looking to reduce their carb intake.
Yes, Spanish cauliflower rice is a great option for meal prepping. It stores well in the fridge and can be used to make a variety of dishes throughout the week. You can add proteins, vegetables, and sauces to create meals that will keep you full and energized.
Spanish cauliflower rice is a healthy side dish that can be enjoyed on its own or as part of a larger meal. It packs plenty of flavor and nutrition, making it an ideal choice for those looking to cut down on carbs while adding more vegetables to their diet. Plus, Spanish cauliflower rice is easy to make and stores well in the fridge, making it perfect for meal prepping. So add Spanish cauliflower rice to your menu today.Print
Spanish cauliflower rice
Super easy to make cauliflower rice made in the classic Spanish rice flavoring. Perfect to serve as a side dish for any Mexican meal. Meal prep friendly too.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 15 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Category: Side Dishes
- Cuisine: Mexican-inspired/vegetarian /vegan
1 head of cauliflower
1 medium-sized onion
2 garlic cloves
1 cup vegetable stock
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon cilantro seeds
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
½ teaspoon paprika powder
½ teaspoon turmeric powder
1 bunch fresh cilantro
2 tablespoons concentrated tomato paste
Start by grating the cauliflower, for this cut it in half and place the grater inside the bowl and grate it until you have all the “rice” formed.
Press or mince the garlic cloves and dice finely the onion.
In the pan add the olive oil and heat it. Once hot add the minced garlic and diced onion to it and sautee it until golden and fragrant over medium heat.
If your spices are whole, crush them with a food processor or mortar and pestle while the garlic and onion are cooking.
Add the cauliflower rice to the pan and also the spices and tomato paste. Mix it well and add the veggie stock to the pan too.
Cook for around 10 minutes until the vegetable stock has been absorbed.
Serve with the fresh cilantro chopped on top and some lime wedges.
This cauliflower Spanish rice can be easily customizable in terms of heat, if you would like to have it with more heat, add chili flakes or even a sliced jalapeño with the seeds (the more seeds, the spicier)
It can be stored in the fridge for up to 5 days in a sealed container.