Maple dijon roasted carrots with goat cheese, walnuts and thyme are full of flavor for a healthy and delicious side dish! (vegetarian, gluten-free)
Can I tell you a secret? I used to hate cooked carrots. (gasp!) I know. The girl who likes all of the vegetables didn’t like cooked carrots? Yep. It’s true. It was a texture thing to me. Mostly because I had only ever had them boiled too long to where they were mushy. So even when they were coated in cinnamon and sugar deliciousness, I refused to eat them.
But roasted carrots. Roasted carrots are different. They are not a bit mushy. They are still somewhat firm when they come out of the oven with a delicious roasty outside. I’ll eat roasted carrots any day.
These Maple Dijon Roasted Carrots with Walnuts and Goat Cheese take roasted carrots to an even higher level of awesome. Not only are they coated in a sweet, slightly tangy sauce that perfectly caramelizes in the oven, but they are also topped with creamy goat cheese, toasted walnuts and thyme. (Bonus: Carrots are naturally loaded with beta carotene, a precursor to vitamin A, which helps your eyesight and immunity.) Finished off with some coarse sea salt and freshly cracked black pepper, these Maple Dijon Roasted Carrots are some of the best carrots I’ve ever had, hands down. I might have eaten them by themselves for dinner one day.
Since I am picky about the softness of my veggies, I like to cook them for a little less time than some people. If you like a softer carrot, cook them for a bit longer. I usually don’t like to go over 30 minutes.
Please don’t ignore the parchment or silicone lining of the pan. Since maple syrup has natural sugars, it will stick and cook onto whatever surface it is on. And it will be next to impossible to get off of a pan. Just helping a sister out. I like easy clean up and I’m sure you do, too.
If you’re looking for a way to spice up your every day veggie eating, definitely give my Maple Dijon Roasted Carrots with Walnuts and Goat Cheese a try. And make a big batch, they make excellent leftovers for lunch the next day, if they last that long!
Perfectly caramelized maple dijon roasted carrots with goat cheese and thyme are a great way to enjoy carrots!
- 2 lb carrots (about 10 medium), washed
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup walnut pieces
- Pinch coarse sea salt
- Fresh cracked black pepper
- 2 oz goat cheese, crumbled
- 3-4 sprigs fresh thyme, leaves removed
- Preheat oven to 400° F. Line a baking sheet with parchment or a silicone baking mat.
- In a small bowl, mix together maple syrup and dijon. Brush carrots evenly with mixture.
- Place carrots onto baking sheet, leaving room in between so that they roast evenly. Roast 30-45 minutes, until they reach desired softness, turning every 10 minutes.
- During last 10 minutes of roasting carrots, place walnuts on a small baking sheet or foil boat and toast until fragrant, watching carefully so they don't burn.
- Remove carrots from oven and place on serving platter.
- Sprinkle carrots with salt and pepper to taste, and then top with goat cheese crumbles, toasted walnuts and thyme. Serve immediately.
Love this recipe? PIN it!