This Warm Kale and White Bean Salad is a quick and easy side dish with plenty of garlic and lemon that goes well with anything for a weeknight dinner or on its own as a healthy vegetarian lunch.
I interrupt your normal Christmas cookie blog posts to bring you this. A salad. But it’s not a regular salad, it’s a cool salad!
Actually it’s not a cool salad at all. It’s a warm salad, which makes it perfect for winter! I love salads, and eat them all the time. And I especially crave them during the holiday season when I’ve had too much sugar from all the fun Christmas cookies and treats. But some days when it’s negative 15 degrees outside, the last thing you want to eat is a bowl full of cold lettuce and raw veggies.
That’s why I’ve made this delicious Warm Kale and White Bean Salad! The kale is cooked with flavorful garlic until wilty and warm so it’s the perfect comforting salad for cold days. It’s also loaded with white beans and crunchy homemade croutons for a variety of textures and flavors all on one super easy salad. A squeeze of fresh lemon takes the flavor over the top without having to add any extra dressing.
This Warm Kale and White Bean Salad would also make an excellent vegetarian lunch. It’s so simple to throw together (great on busy days!) and it’s got loads of filling fiber and plant based protein. Or pair it with a cup of turkey and wild rice soup for an extra cozy meal!
I like to mix this salad up and throw on some parmesan or chickpeas instead of white beans (whatever’s on hand!). Feel free to make it your own.
Back to your regularly scheduled holiday programming.
Warm Kale and White Bean Salad
This Warm Kale and White Bean Salad is a quick and easy side dish with plenty of garlic and lemon that goes well with anything for a weeknight dinner or on it’s own as a healthy vegetarian lunch.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
- Total Time: 10 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 4 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1 bunch of dinosaur kale, chopped
- 1 cup white beans, drained and rinsed
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Freshly cracked pepper, to taste
- 1 cup sourdough croutons (see below for directions)
- To make croutons, preheat oven to 400° F. Cut 1-2 pieces of whole grain sourdough into cubes. Toss with 1/2 tsp olive oil, a pinch a garlic powder, and a pinch of dried rosemary. Spread on a baking sheet and bake 10-15 minutes, stirring, or until crispy. Remove from oven and set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add garlic and kale and sauté until kale is warm and slightly wilted. Add white beans and stir until beans are heated through.
- Remove from heat and squeeze lemon juice over the top. Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste, then toss with croutons. Serve immediately.
Love this recipe? PIN it!