A fresh and authentic Mexican Ceviche recipe inspired by our travels to Cabo San Lucas. It’s a delicious appetizer or light dinner! (gluten-free, dairy-free)
I know we are supposed to be headed into fall, but here at Lively Table headquarters, we’re holding on to summer as long as possible! After all, in Texas, it still feels a lot like summer, which means I can still make all of the summery dishes I want, like Stone Fruit Panzanella, Grilled Corn and Goat Cheese Flatbread, and Tropical Matcha Popsicles. Oh, and this yummy Mexican ceviche!
When I found out this month’s Recipe ReDux challenge was to create a recipe inspired by a place we have traveled, I knew instantly that I wanted to make ceviche. We went to Cabo San Lucas, Mexico for our honeymoon, and I basically lived off of the fresh ceviche served by the pool every day. It was absolute heaven.
One day while we were in Cabo it rained, and after going to the spa, hubby and I headed up to our room. One of the cabana staff stopped us on our way up and asked if we wanted anything to eat, so we ordered some guacamole and ceviche, of course. When he arrived at our room with the food, he had two huge trays! He had brought us two kinds of ceviche because he didn’t know what kind we wanted! They were both so fresh and amazing.
I always intended to come up with a Mexican ceviche recipe when we returned stateside, but I never got around to it. A couple of months ago, Lauren (of Murphy’s Law) and her husband invited us over for dinner after returning from their honeymoon and inspired me once again when they made the ceviche they ate on their vacation. It was so good, and I figured I better get around to making it! They served it with a delicious green salsa on the bottom, and I loved that, so I stole it to use in this Mexican ceviche recipe.
Every time I eat ceviche, I will always think of our amazing honeymoon in Cabo. Luckily I can now be taken back there with just a recipe instead of a plane ticket! I hope you enjoy this ceviche as much as I do. It’s perfect poolside, just add a margarita, and you’re in paradise!
A fresh and authentic Mexican Ceviche recipe inspired by our travels to Cabo San Lucas. It's a delicious appetizer or light dinner! (gluten-free, dairy-free)
- 6 oz white fish such as tilapia or halibut, frozen
- 1 cup fresh squeezed lime juice
- 1 Roma tomato
- 1 jalapeno, seeds and stem removed
- 1/2 red or orange bell pepper
- 1/2 cucumber, seeds removed
- 1/4 small red onion
- Small bunch cilantro (about 1/2 cup)
- Generous pinch sea salt
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1/2 jalapeno, seeds removed
- 1/4 cup cilantro
- Tortilla chips or tortillas
- Diced avocado (optional)
- While fish is still slightly frozen, dice into about 1/2 inch cubes. Place in a glass bowl with lime juice and let "cook" for 30 minutes or until fish is opaque.
- While fish is "cooking" dice tomato, jalapeno, bell pepper, cucumber, and onion into 1/4 inch cubes. Finely chop cilantro. Drain lime juice from fish and stir in diced veggies, cilantro, and salt.
- Cover bowl and let marinate in the refrigerator for 1-2 hours.
- While ceviche is marinating, blend the lemon juice, lime juice, jalapeno and cilantro in a Nutribullet or food processor for the salsa.
- To serve, spoon a small amount of salsa in the bottom of a bowl. Scoop ceviche on top of salsa and top with diced avocados (optional).
Love this recipe? PIN it!
What is your favorite vacation-inspired food? Get more inspiration below!