These keto turkey meatballs are juicy and tender on the inside and crispy on the outside. The flavorful marinara sauce adds the perfect kick to this keto comfort food. It’s easy to make and can be served as an appetizer or main course.
Why You'll Love Keto Turkey Meatballs in Marinara Sauce
These keto turkey meatballs in marinara sauce are a great low-carb way to get your Italian food fix. They’re loaded with flavor from the herbs and spices in the meat mixture, and they’re cooked in a light but flavorful homemade marinara sauce.
These keto turkey meatballs are easy to make. You combine a few ingredients for the ground turkey mixture, form them into balls, cook them on the stove or in the air fryer, and finish them off with a delicious marinara sauce.
These keto turkey meatballs are also versatile. You can serve them as an appetizer with cubes of cheese, as a main course with a traditional Italian salad, or on their own. No matter how you choose to enjoy them, these keto turkey meatballs are sure to please.
Is this Recipe Healthy?
There are a few things you can do to make sure this recipe is healthy. Use lean ground turkey for your meatballs. This will cut down on the amount of saturated fat but still provide a generous amount of protein. The veggies in the meatballs and marinara sauce provide essential vitamins and minerals.
Cooking the meatballs in the air fryer helps to cut back on the amount of fat. The recipe also uses olive oil. Olive oil is one of the healthiest oils you can use in cooking. It has a high content of monounsaturated fatty acids, which are beneficial to your heart health.
When served with a side of vegetables or a salad, this recipe can make for a balanced meal that fits into most healthy diets.
How to Make Keto Turkey Meatballs
Prep the veggies:
- Dice the ½ onion as fine as possible. Set aside.
- Crush or grate the garlic cloves. Set aside.
Prepare the sauce:
- Heat the olive oil in a saucepan. Stir fry one grated garlic clove on low heat.
- Add the tomato paste, salt, oregano, and basil to the pan.
- Simmer on low while you make and cook the meatballs.
Make the meatballs:
- In a medium-sized bowl, add the ground turkey, diced onion, one grated garlic clove, Parmesan cheese, egg, oregano, salt, and pepper for the meatballs. Using your hands, mix everything well until well combined.
- Form the meatballs.
Cook the meatballs:
- Cook the meatballs using one of the following methods: the deep-frying method or the air fryer method:
- Deep fry: In a medium-sized pan, add enough olive oil to halfway cover the meatballs. Heat the oil until it starts to bubble. Add the meatballs without overcrowding the pan. Fry for 2 to 3 minutes on each side until all is browned.
- Air fryer: Brush the air fryer basket with olive oil and add a single layer of the meatballs in the basket without overcrowding. Brush the meatballs with some olive oil. Air fry at 395 degrees F for 10 minutes, turning them halfway through the cooking time.
Assemble the dish:
- Once the meatballs are cooked, transfer the marinara sauce and cooked meatballs to a medium-sized pan.
- Cover the meatballs with the sauce and cook on low for an additional 15 minutes.
Tips and Variations for Keto Turkey Meatballs
Use these tips and variation ideas for the best keto turkey meatballs:
- Form the meatballs into similar sizes for even cooking.
- Don't let the meatballs touch while cooking so that they get an even crust on the outside.
- If you are using the air fryer, preheat the air fryer for 5 minutes before adding the meatballs and spray or brush the basket with oil so the meatballs don't stick to the basket.
- Make Thai-style meatballs with ginger and cilantro for an Asian flair.
- If you’re looking for something a little more indulgent, try adding cheese or diced vegetables, such as mushrooms and peppers, to your mixture before shaping into meatballs.
- Make the meatballs in advance and serve later. They are even more delicious the day after.
More Turkey Recipes
- The Best Ground Turkey Stir Fry
- 15 Healthy Ground Turkey Recipes
- Chipotle Apple Turkey Chili
- Healthy Chicken or Turkey Pot Pie Soup
Keto Turkey Meatballs FAQs
Yes. To make the turkey meatballs in a conventional oven, preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Place the meatballs on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake for about 25 minutes until the meatballs are golden and cooked through.
Yes, this recipe is not only keto but also gluten free.
You can store leftover meatballs in a sealed container in the fridge for up to a week.
These keto turkey meatballs in marinara sauce are a great way to enjoy a tasty meal while still keeping with your keto diet. It can be adapted to use whatever seasonings or ingredients you have on hand. So be creative and make it your own.Print
Keto Turkey Meatballs in Marinara Sauce
Delicious keto turkey meatballs, super juicy and tender, with a delightfully crispy exterior, made in a marinara sauce to die for.
- Prep Time: 15
- Cook Time: 30
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Category: Main meals/poultry
- Cuisine: Keto
1 pound ground turkey meat
½ white onion
1 cup grated parmesan cheese
1 garlic cloves
1 tablespoon oregano
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
Enough olive oil to fry them (if deep frying them you’ll need more, if using the air frying them much less, only enough to paint each meatball)
For the sauce:
2 cups tomato paste
1 teaspoon olive oil
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon dried basil (if using fresh use a couple of leaves)
1 garlic clove
1. Dice the ½ onion as fine as possible. Crush or grate the garlic cloves. Set aside.
2. Start the sauce:
In a saucepan add the olive oil and fry on low heat the garlic clove.
Add the tomato paste and the spices to the pan.
Simmer on low while you make and cook the meatballs.
3. In a medium-sized bowl add the turkey meat, the diced onion, the crushed garlic clove, the parmesan cheese, the egg, and the seasonings for the meatballs. Mix everything well until well combined.
4. Form the meatballs using your hands.
5. Fry the meatballs, for this you can use two different methods: the deep frying method or the air fryer method:
Deep fry: In a medium-sized pan add enough olive oil to cover the meatballs until the middle. Heat it until it starts to bubble and add the meatballs without overcrowding the pan. Fry for 2-3 minutes on each side until all is browned.
Air fryer: Paint the air fryer basket with olive oil and distribute a layer of the meatballs in it without overcrowding. Paint the meatballs with some olive oil. Cook for 10 minutes at 395 F turning them mid-cooking.
6. Once the meatballs have been fried, transfer the marinara sauce to a medium-sized pan and add the cooked meatballs to the pan. Cover with the sauce and let cook for additional 15 minutes on low.
This recipe is not only keto but also gluten-free!
It can be made in advance and served later in the day, also they are even more delicious the day after!
Leftovers can be stored in the fridge in a sealed container for up to a week.