This Instant Pot turkey chili with apples and chipotle is a must-have easy fall meal! It’s warm and comforting with spicy chipotle and a hint of sweetness, and only takes about 30 minutes to make! (gluten-free, dairy-free, nut-free)
Is there any meal that embodies fall more than a cozy bowl of piping hot chili? When the temperature drops and Saturdays are spent watching the Red Raiders play (and usually lose) football, chili is the first fall meal that I want to make!
I know everybody has their preferred chili recipe, and people get very defensive about which chili is best. Beans or no beans? Tomatoes or no tomatoes? Plain ground beef, another meat, vegetarian chili?
I’m an equal opportunity chili eater, so I’ll try any bowl once. But I do have a few criteria that I like to meet for my perfect bowl of chili:
- Always beans. They add a nice bite and bulk up your chili a little, plus they add fiber. Dietitians love fiber.
- No tomatoes. Nothing against tomatoes, I love them. But tomatoes make a stew, not chili. Tomato paste? Go for it! Just not the chunks.
- A thick texture. That’s why I use tomato paste. If it’s too soupy, well, it’s soup.
- Spicy, but not too spicy. I like a little bite, but I don’t like my taste buds being burned off.
Other than that, I like to try all kinds of chili. Turkey, vegetarian, ALL the beef, you name it. And if it happens to be healthy and easy? Well then I’ll just take it!
This Instant Pot turkey chili with apples and chipotle was a fun little fall chili experiment I did, and it turned out SO good that I had to share it with you! It checks all of my criteria, and it’s so easy to make in the Instant Pot – just one dish, a little browning, and walk away until dinner time. It’s also lightened up thanks to lean ground turkey, a few extra veggies (and fruit!) and plenty of beans. But the real winner is the delicious flavor!
Y’all. The flavor. This turkey chili has the perfect combination of smoky spice thanks to my secret spicy weapon, chipotle powder. A little goes a long way – consider this your warning. And the spice is balanced so beautifully with a subtle sweetness from the apples and nutmeg. It’s a chili that tastes just like fall in a bowl, but not in an apple-cinnamon-pumpkin-spice-everything kind of way.
More like a delicious, cozy, hint of something fall but you don’t quite know what it is kind of way. It’s amazing. Especially with some freshly-baked skillet cornbread.
If you’re a fan of chili, and of hanging out on a Saturday watching college football, or you just need a quick and healthy fall weeknight meal to feed the hungry beasts that are your family, give this Instant Pot turkey chili a try! You will love it, I promise!
Instant Pot Turkey Chili With Apples and Chipotle
This Instant Pot turkey chili with apples and chipotle is a must-have easy fall meal! It’s warm and comforting with spicy chipotle and a hint of sweetness, and only takes about 30 minutes to make! (gluten-free, dairy-free)
- Prep Time: 10 min
- Cook Time: 20 min
- Total Time: 40 min
- Yield: 6-8 servings 1x
- Category: main dish
- 1 tbsp olive oil or avocado oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 medium apple, cored and diced
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 1/2 cups beef broth
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tomato paste
- 3 tbsp chili powder
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp chipotle powder
- 1 tsp Mexican oregano
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 can (15 oz) black beans, drained
- 1 can (15 oz) kidney beans, drained
- Set Instant Pot to ‘Sauté’ mode on High. Add oil, garlic, onion, and bell pepper. Cook 5 minutes, or until softened. Add turkey and brown, until cooked through, about 5 minutes.
- Add broth and stir, scraping any brown bits off the bottom. Add remaining ingredients and stir to combine.
- Close and lock lid. Close steam valve to ‘Sealing’ position.
- Turn Instant Pot to ‘Pressure Cook/Manual’ mode on high. Set timer for 20 minutes. Allow pressure to release naturally before opening.
- Stir chili and serve with cheese, sour cream, avocado, and/or cilantro.
To make on the stove top, follow first two steps in a pot on the stove. Cover and turn heat to low. Cook for about an hour, stirring every once in a while.
Keywords: chili, turkey, instant pot
Love this recipe? PIN it!