This healthy Orange Peel Chicken is a lighter version of your favorite takeout, bursting with flavor and tons of veggies! It’s a delicious, one-pan dinner perfect for weeknights! (no added sugar, gluten-free option)
I’m so excited to share this healthy version of orange chicken with you today! It’s no secret that Chinese takeout is not the best for us health-wise. It’s often loaded with fried pieces of meat, sodium, and sugar-filled sauces. While takeout can be tasty and convenient, it always seems to make me feel bloated, dehydrated and ‘bleh’ after eating it.
No more! This healthy orange peel chicken recipe will become your new go-to for when you’re craving Chinese. It’s bursting with flavor but is made with real ingredients like orange juice, fresh ginger, and tons of veggies to make you feel good far after you have left the dinner table.
The trick to making this healthy orange peel chicken feel like a breeze is having all of your ingredients prepped and ready before you start cooking. Make the sauce, chop your veggies, and have everything at an arm’s reach, because this dish cooks quickly. It also helps to have leftover quinoa or rice that you can simply heat up so that you only have one pan to tend to.
I used Chosen Foods Spicy Sesame Oil to give this dish a little extra spice, but you can certainly use regular sesame oil and adjust the red pepper to suit your taste. A little goes a long way for me!
I hope you love this one-pan healthier version of orange chicken! It makes a great feel-good weeknight dinner. Let me know if you give it a try, and as always, snap a photo and share with me on Instagram!
What takeout dish would you like to see made over?
If you made this recipe, please leave a star rating in the comments!Print
Healthy Orange Peel Chicken
This healthy Orange Peel Chicken is a lighter version of your favorite takeout, bursting with flavor and tons of veggies! It’s a delicious, one pan dinner perfect for weeknights! (no added sugar, gluten-free option)
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Category: main dish
- Method: stovetop
- Cuisine: Asian
For the sauce:
- 1 cup 100% orange juice (bottled or fresh squeezed)
- Peel from 1/2 orange, sliced into very thin strips
- 2 tbsp low-sodium soy sauce*
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 tbsp grated fresh ginger
- 2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 4 tsp corn starch**
For the Orange Peel Chicken:
- 2 tsp Chosen Foods spicy sesame oil***
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into 1-inch cubes
- Pinch salt
- Pinch freshly cracked black pepper
- 2 medium carrots, thinly sliced
- 1 cup snow peas
- 1/2 cup frozen edamame, thawed
- Sliced green onions
- Cooked brown rice, cauliflower rice or quinoa
- In a medium bowl, whisk together sauce ingredients. Set aside.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add oil. Season chicken with salt and pepper and add to skillet, stirring occasionally so that all sides get browned. Continue cooking until chicken is cooked through, 5-8 minutes. Remove from chicken from skillet and set aside.
- Add carrots, snow peas and edamame to skillet and cook, stirring, until carrots are softened, about 5 minutes. Add chicken back to the skillet and pour in sauce. Cook until sauce is thickened, about 5 more minutes. Sprinkle with green onions before serving.
- Serve with cooked brown rice, quinoa, or cauliflower rice.
*for gluten-free, use low sodium tamari
**or arrowroot flour
***or regular sesame oil
Keywords: orange chicken, healthy orange chicken