This crockpot shredded chicken recipe is simple to follow and only requires a few ingredients. You can add in any seasonings you like or keep it plain for a versatile protein that you can use in salads, sandwiches, or any other dish that calls for cooked chicken. And it's cooked in the slow cooker, so you don't have to worry about monitoring it or turning on the oven.
Why You'll Love this Crockpot Shredded Chicken
This crockpot shredded chicken recipe is an easy and versatile way to add some protein to your meals. It's simple to make and requires only a few ingredients and a crockpot. You can have tender and juicy chicken that is ready to be added to any dish.
You can toss everything into the crockpot and let it do all the work for you. And cleanup is a breeze since it's all cooked in the one pot.
It's also 100% meal prep friendly. The chicken is versatile to have on hand to use in salads, sandwiches, pizzas, or any other dish that calls for cooked chicken.
Why Is this Recipe Healthy?
Chicken breasts are a healthy food option for several key reasons. They contain many essential nutrients that your body needs for proper functioning. These nutrients include protein, vitamins, and minerals, which are essential for building and repairing tissue, producing energy from food, regulating body processes, and more.
Chicken breasts are high in B vitamins, choline, phosphorus, and selenium. And chicken breasts are low in fat and calories, making them an excellent source of lean protein that can be incorporated into a healthy diet.
How to Make Crockpot Shredded Chicken
- Add the chicken breasts to the slow cooker.
- Add the garlic, bay leaves, and black peppercorns on top.
- Cover with the chicken broth.
- Cook on low for 2 hours.
- Remove the chicken breasts from the crockpot and shred them using 2 forks.
- Store in a sealed container in the fridge.
Tips for Making Crockpot Shredded Chicken
Use these tips to make shredded chicken that is perfect for all kinds of recipes:
- Use fresh skinless, boneless chicken breasts. You can also substitute skinless, boneless chicken thighs. These cuts will give you tender and juicy shredded chicken that is perfect for soups, stews, casseroles, and more.
- Experiment with different seasonings if desired. You can try garlic powder, onion powder, Italian seasoning blend, or chili powder. Experiment with different spice blends to find a combination that works well for your particular dish.
- Don't overcook the chicken. Overcooking is one of the main culprits behind dry and rubbery chicken. Cook the chicken until it reaches 165 degrees F.
- Cook a larger batch of shredded chicken, portion it into Ziploc freezer bags, and freeze it. Then you have shredded chicken ready to use any time.
More Crockpot Recipes
- Easy Slow Cooker BBQ Ribs
- Slow Cooker Pork Carnitas
- Healthier Slow Cooker Green Chile Corn Dip
- 15 Crockpot Turkey Recipes
Crockpot Shredded Chicken FAQs
You can store the cooked shredded chicken in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 5 days.
Yes, you can make this recipe plain by using just chicken breasts and water. But using a few spices and chicken broth makes a much tastier shredded chicken.
Yes, this crockpot shredded chicken is a great option for meal prepping. It's easy to make and can be used in many different dishes. You can store it in the fridge or freezer and use it as needed throughout the week. Add it to soups, stews, casseroles, tacos, salads, wraps, and more.
If you are looking for a quick and easy way to add some protein to your meals, crockpot shredded chicken is the perfect recipe. It's easy to make in the crockpot and is packed with essential nutrients. You can use it to meal prep for the week or to make an easy last-minute dinner. Crockpot shredded chicken is sure to become a staple in your home kitchen.Print
Crockpot Shredded Chicken
Super easy to make shredded chicken in the slow cooker. Perfect to have cooked on hand and add to salads or sandwiches.
- Prep Time: 0 minutes
- Cook Time: 2 hours on low
- Total Time: 15 minute
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Category: Kitchen Basics
- Cuisine: International
- 2 boneless and skinless chicken breasts
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon black pepper corns
- Add the chicken breasts to the slow cooker.
- Add on top the seasonings.
- Cover with the chicken stock and let cook on low for 2 hours.
- Remove the chicken breasts from the crockpot (or remove the liquid) and shred them using to forks.
- Store in the fridge in a sealed container.
This can be made with only chicken and water, but I find using a few spices and chicken broth makes a much tastier shredded chicken. It’s so easy to make and so versatile to have on hand to use in salads, as toppings for pizzas or in sandwiches.
This is a 100% meal prep friendly and can be stored in the fridge for up to 5 days in sealed containers. I also like to portion it and store it in Ziplock bags and freeze it, this way I have it ready to use whenever I need shredded chicken.