Homemade healthy chickpea cookie dough protein bars are easy to make with just a few simple pantry staples, and they taste like chocolate chip cookie dough! They're a great make-ahead snack with no protein powder. (vegetarian, gluten-free, dairy-free option)
If you've been around a here a while, you know that I'm not really a protein powder kind of girl. It's expensive, tastes bad, and is super processed. On the other hand, there are plenty of delicious, healthy foods that naturally contain protein (and lots of other nutrients, too!). I'd rather eat something real and delicious any day. For example: the humble chickpea.
Why Are Chickpeas So Great?
The little darlings of dietitians and health influencers alike, chickpeas are a favorite because they are nutritious powerhouses loaded with plant protein and fiber, as well as vitamins and minerals like folate, iron, and B6. Chickpeas are inexpensive and so versatile, so I always have a few cans in my pantry!
Why You'll Love These Chickpea Cookie Dough Bars
There's a lot to love about these bars! They're:
- Healthy. With 5 grams of protein and almost 4 grams of fiber each, they'll give you steady, lasting energy and fill you up! And they are made with wholesome ingredients like oats, chickpeas, peanut butter and honey.
- Delicious. The taste of chocolate chip cookie dough and NOT protein powder? Yes, please! Chickpeas give these bars a soft, cookie dough-like texture.
- Made with pantry staples. I bet you already have all the ingredients on hand!
How To Make Homemade Cookie Dough Protein Bars with Chickpeas
- In a food processor, blend chickpeas, oats, peanut butter, honey, egg, milk, vanilla, baking powder and salt until smooth.
- Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Press into a pan lined with parchment and bake at 300°F for 20 minutes.
- Cool, cut into bars, and drizzle with melted chocolate (optional). Bonus points for a sprinkle of flaky salt on the top!
Can I Use Protein Powder In The Recipe?
Of course of you want to use protein powder in this recipe, go for it! Add a scoop of your favorite vanilla or unflavored protein powder and an additional 1-2 tablespoons of milk to the batter.
More Healthy Snacks You'll Love
- No Bake Lemon Poppy Seed Snack Balls
- No Bake Banana Bread Balls
- Quinoa Veggie Egg Muffins
- Quinoa Peanut Butter Cup Protein Balls
- Healthy Gluten Free Banana Nut Blender Muffins
Did you make this recipe? Please leave a star rating in the comments!Print
Chickpea Cookie Dough Protein Bars
Homemade healthy chickpea cookie dough protein bars are easy to make with just a few simple pantry staples, and they taste like chocolate chip cookie dough! They're a great make-ahead snack. (vegetarian, gluten-free, dairy-free option)
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 10 minutes
- Yield: 10 bars 1x
- Category: snack
- Method: baked
- Cuisine: American
- 1 (15 oz) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 2 tbsp natural creamy peanut butter
- 3 tbsp honey or maple syrup
- 1 large egg
- 2 tbsp milk of choice
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ tsp baking powder
- Pinch sea salt
- ½ cup dark chocolate chips
- Heat oven to 300°F. Line a square baking dish with parchment.
- In a food processor, combine all ingredients except for chocolate chips and blend until smooth.
- Stir in chocolate chips.
- Spread mixture evenly into baking dish. Bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool before cutting into 10 bars.
- Optional: Melt 2 tbsp chocolate chips and drizzle over the tops of bars after cutting. Sprinkle with a pinch of flaky salt.
- Store bars in an airtight container for up to 2 days at room temperature, 5 days in the refrigerator, or 3 months in the freezer.
- Make sure oats are certified gluten-free if necessary.
- For dairy-free, use your favorite non-dairy milk and dairy-free chocolate chips.
- For an extra protein boost, add 1 scoop of your favorite vanilla or unfavored protein powder to the batter, and add an additional 1-2 tbsp of milk.
Keywords: chocolate chip cookie protein bars, chickpea cookie dough protein bars, healthy chickpea cookie dough bars