Healthy and delicious salmon quina burgers made with fresh salmon and quinoa, topped with a yogurt dill sauce are a nutritious change-up for dinner!
Have you ever wanted a healthier burger that isn’t a veggie burger or turkey burger (which really aren’t all that healthy, but that’s a story for another day)? If you’re my husband, the answer is a resounding ‘NO!’ But for me, the answer is ‘Yes, please!’ Frankly, I’m a little tired of grilled chicken sandwiches. So I came up with these Salmon Quinoa Burgers to help a sister out.
I see that face you’re making. My husband made the same face when I told him I was making a burger out of salmon and quinoa. But that was before he tried them. And then requested them for dinner the next night. And then for the football game-watching party two days later. Yep, my beef-loving manly man loved these babies too. So stop making that face.
They are pretty easy to make, and don’t even require a grill. I use the Meat Grinder attachment on my KitchenAid to grind the salmon and veggies all together, but a food processor on a slow pulse would work fine too. Then just mix in the quinoa and cook in a skillet!
I find it easier to make a big batch of quinoa at the beginning of the week and keep in the fridge for recipes like this one (and my Quinoa Pancakes!) or to use in my lunch. It’s an easy way to add more whole grains to my diet and it’s much less work than cooking quinoa every time I need it, which is pretty often these days.
I like to serve Salmon Quinoa Burgers on a whole wheat ciabatta bun. Topped with some peppery arugula, red onion, and my fresh dill and feta sauce, these salmon burgers are so flavorful, you won’t even miss your regular old beef burger. And you definitely won’t miss the turkey burger!
Healthy and delicious burgers made with fresh salmon and quinoa, topped with a yogurt dill sauce are a nutritious change-up for dinner!
- 1 lb salmon, skin removed*
- 3-4 cloves garlic
- 2 stalks green onion
- 1/2 red pepper
- 1 1/2 cups cooked quinoa
- Juice 1/2 large lemon
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh dill
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup greek yogurt
- Juice from 1/2 large lemon
- 1 1/2 tbsp chopped fresh dill
- 2 tbsp feta cheese
- 8 whole wheat ciabatta buns**
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 1 cup baby arugula leaves
- In a food processor or meat grinder, add salmon, garlic, green onion, and red pepper. Process or lightly pulse (not on continuous) if you are using a food processor, until a semi-smooth consistency is reached. Veggie chunks should be small but not a paste. Pour mixture into a bowl.
- Add egg, lemon juice, dill, and salt and pepper. Mix well to incorporate into mixture. I use my hands.
- Heat a large non-stick skillet over medium heat on the stove. Form patties with salmon mixture and drop directly onto the skillet. Let patties cook until bottoms are slightly browned and then carefully flip to cook the other side until cooked through, about 5 minutes per side.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, prepare sauce. Mix together greek yogurt, lemon juice, dill, and feta. Set aside.
- Thinly slice red onion and cut buns in half and toast them if you'd like.
- Once salmon patties are cooked, assemble burgers: Place a small handful of arugula and a few slices of onion on the bottom bun. Add salmon patty and top with 1 tbsp dill sauce. Top with other half of bun, and serve!
*You can also used canned salmon. **Use gf bun for gluten free.