Baked Samoa Oatmeal brings you the taste of your favorite Girl Scout cookie in a healthy make ahead breakfast! (gluten-free, low sugar, vegan and dairy-free options)
SAMOA OATMEAL. I’ll just let that sink in for a second.
Yes, you can eat a healthy breakfast that also tastes like your favorite girl scout cookie. (Everyone knows that Samoas/Caramel DeLites are the best girl scout cookie. If you don’t think so, we can’t be friends.) Even better, this baked Samoa oatmeal is meal prep friendly, so you can cook once and have a whole week of healthy, delicious breakfast ready in your refrigerator… that TASTES LIKE COOKIES!
You may be wondering how a breakfast that tastes like cookies can be healthy, but this baked Samoa oatmeal actually has very little added sugar. The only added sugar comes from the chocolate chips. If you want a zero added sugar version, you can even use unsweetened dark chocolate, or a higher percentage of cocoa for lower sugar. The other sweetness comes naturally in the form of date caramel.
In this yummy recipe, the caramel layer is made completely from dates, so it’s naturally sweet with the added benefit of fiber, antioxidants, potassium, and magnesium. Sweet!
All on top on a base of filling baked oatmeal. Y’all already know that I love oatmeal. But topped with layers of caramel, coconut and chocolate? Holy yum. You guys have to try this Samoa baked oatmeal.
If you need a vegan or dairy-free version, you can replace the eggs with flax or chia eggs, use your favorite nut milk, and use dairy-free chocolate.
If you’re a Samoa fan (of course you are!), you’ve got to make this baked Samoa oatmeal. Make ahead, healthy, and chocolate for breakfast? What are you waiting for?!
Baked Samoa Oatmeal
Baked Samoa Oatmeal brings you the taste of your favorite Girl Scout cookie in a healthy make ahead breakfast! (gluten-free, low sugar, vegan and dairy-free option)
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 4-6 servings
- Category: breakfast
- 1/2 cup pitted dates
- Hot water
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 2 tbsp ground flaxseed
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 2 large eggs*
- 1 1/2 cups milk of choice**
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips**
- To make date caramel, place dates in a heat-proof container and add hot water to just cover dates. Soak 10 minutes.
- Add dates and liquid to a food processor and blend until smooth, scraping down the sides and adding hot water (1 tbsp at a time) as needed. It will take a while to become smooth.
- Heat oven to 375°F. Spray a 9″ baking dish with oil.
- In a large bowl, combine oats, flaxseed and salt. In a separate bowl, whisk together eggs, milk and vanilla. Pour into oat mixture and stir to combine. Pour into prepared baking dish.
- Bake oatmeal 10 minutes. Remove from oven and spread date caramel over the top. Sprinkle coconut over the date caramel. Return to the oven for 10-15 more minutes, until oatmeal is set and coconut is golden. Remove from oven and cool at least 5 minutes.
- Melt chocolate chips in a microwave safe dish at 30 second intervals in the microwave, stirring in between, until completely melted. Drizzle over oatmeal.
- Serve or store in the refrigerator, covered, until ready to serve.
*For vegan, use flax or chia egg and follow dairy-free substitutions.
**For dairy-free, use your favorite dairy-free milk and dairy-free chocolate chips.
Love this recipe? PIN it!