Healthy Baked Samoa Oatmeal
Get the taste of your favorite Girl Scout cookie in a healthy make ahead breakfast with this Baked Samoa Oatmeal. Sweetened with an easy date caramel and topped with a chocolate drizzle, you'll be smitten after one bite! (gluten-free, dairy-free and vegan options)
- Author: Kaleigh
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 4-6 servings 1x
- Category: breakfast
- Method: baked
- Cuisine: American
For the date caramel:
- 1 cup pitted dates (about 12 medjool dates)
- 1/2 cup milk of choice
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
For the oatmeal:
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 2 tbsp ground flaxseed
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups milk of choice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 recipe date caramel (above)
- 1/2 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
- Heat oven to 375°F. Spray a 9" baking dish with oil.
- In a large bowl, combine oats, flaxseed and salt. In a separate bowl, whisk together eggs, milk and vanilla. Pour into oat mixture and stir to combine. Pour into prepared baking dish.
- Bake oatmeal 10 minutes.
- While oatmeal is baking, make the date caramel. Combine dates, milk, vanilla and salt in a food processor and blend until smooth, stopping to scrape down the sides and adding liquid as needed. It will take a few minutes to become smooth.
- Stir the coconut into the caramel mixture.
- Remove oatmeal from the oven and spread date caramel over the top. Return to the oven for 10-15 more minutes, until oatmeal is set and coconut is golden. Remove from the oven.
- Heat chocolate chips in a microwave safe dish at 30 second intervals in the microwave, stirring in between, until completely melted. Drizzle melted chocolate over oatmeal.
- Serve or let cool completely before storing.
- For dairy-free, use your favorite dairy-free milk and dairy-free chocolate chips.
- For vegan, use flax or chia egg and follow dairy-free substitutions.
- For a completely 'no added sugar' version, make sure you're using unsweetened coconut and use bittersweet chocolate or a no added sugar chocolate.
- Once your baked oatmeal has cooled, cut it into squares and store in an airtight container in the refrigerator up to 5 days.
- Once chilled, you can place individual portions in the freezer.
- To reheat refrigerated oatmeal, microwave for 1 minutes. For frozen oatmeal, microwave 2 minutes.
- If your dates feel dry, cover them in boiling water and soak for 10-15 minutes so that they soften up. Discard the liquid before blending.
Keywords: Samoa oatmeal, baked oatmeal with date caramel and chocolate, girl scout cookie oatmeal