A simple, gluten-free breakfast hash made with delicious fall flavors and healthy chicken sausage that’s a perfect brunch, weeknight dinner, or weekend breakfast!
In case you couldn’t tell, I’ve been on somewhat of an apple kick lately. And I’m not mad about it.
Apples in pancakes, apples on sandwiches, apples in salads, and of course, apples in pies! You could say apples are the star of fall around here, and for good reason! Apples go so well with other fall flavors, both savory and sweet, and they shine next to sweet potatoes and sausage in this delicious breakfast hash.
Most days, I either eat oatmeal or some sort of mashup of leftover vegetables with eggs for breakfast. This Apple, Sausage and Sweet Potato Breakfast Hash is a more formal form of the latter that is not only much more cohesive than most days’ breakfasts, it comes together seamlessly. And it’s a super nutritious way to start the day thanks to the fiber and complex carbs in the sweet potato and apple, and the lean protein from the chicken sausage and egg. It’s also naturally gluten-free and full of fruits and veggies!
I used Lindsey’s recipe for Maple Apple Breakfast Sausage from The Lean Green Bean blog using ground chicken breast. Her recipe perfectly compliments all of the delicious fall flavors in this simple hash. Feel free to use a pre-made chicken or turkey sausage if you want to save a step. You can also leave the egg off if you want, although I highly recommend keeping it!
This dish is not limited to breakfast either! It’s a great brunch dish to share with friends or a quick and easy weeknight dinner. Mr. Table and I often make has on Sunday evenings for dinner when we’re trying to clean put some leftovers, and this is definitely one that I’d eat for dinner in an instant. Just trust me, y’all, it’s delicious.
Next time you’re in the mood for a savory weekend breakfast, pour yourself a cup of coffee and whip up this super easy Apple, Sausage and Sweet Potato Breakfast Hash. I promise you’ll crave it all season long!
A simple, gluten-free breakfast hash made with delicious fall flavors and healthy chicken sausage that's a perfect brunch, weeknight dinner, or weekend breakfast! (gluten-free)
- 2 tbsp olive oil, divided
- 1 lb chicken or turkey sausage
- 1 medium sweet potato, diced
- 1 medium apple, diced
- 1 cup red onion, diced
- 8-10 sage leaves, chopped (or 1-2 tsp dried sage)
- Black pepper
- 4 eggs
- Preheat oven to 400° F.
- In a large skillet, heat 1 tbsp of the olive oil. Brown the sausage over medium heat until cooked. Transfer to a plate.
- Add remaining oil to the skillet. Add diced sweet potato, apple, onion and sage. Stir and place in preheated oven. Bake for 20-25 minutes, stirring every few minutes.
- Add sausage back in to skillet and season with salt and pepper to taste. Place back in the oven until it is hot, 5-10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat a nonstick skillet on the stove and cook 4 eggs, sunny-side-up to desired doneness.
- Remove skillet from oven and divide hash between 4 bowls. Top each with an egg and serve.
Love this recipe? PIN it!