The ham and cheese sandwich gets a delicious upgrade with granny smith apples, white cheddar, and honey mustard!
What was your favorite sandwich as a kid? I hardly ever ate sandwiches, which probably made life a little difficult for my mom, who had to come up with creative things to pack in my lunch. (Sorry, mom!)
When I did eat a sandwich, one of my favorites was a hot ham and cheese. My mom would grill up some ham, add American cheese while it was still in the pan to get it all melty, then place it between two pieces of white bread smeared with mustard (never mayo!). It sounds simple, but it was delicious back then.
As an adult, I still don’t eat a whole lot of sandwiches. If I’m going to eat one, it better be darn good, or else it’s just not worth eating for me. I have a few requirements that any sandwich must meet before being consumed. They are:
- Quality ingredients. Good (whole grain, preferably homemade) bread, good meat, good cheese, fresh veggies. No fake cheese, no fake spreads.
- Melty cheese. If the cheese isn’t melty, it’s useless to me. Easiest way to meet this one? Make the whole sandwich hot!
- Super tasty. What’s a sandwich if it doesn’t taste good? Garbage.
I feel like these requirements aren’t that hard to meet, yet many sandwiches fail to meet them. Which is why I don’t eat many. And the ones that I do eat tend to be made at home by yours truly. I take my time and carefully select my ingredients for an artfully made, delicious sandwich that is definitely worthy of being called dinner.
I gave my old childhood favorite sandwich a few adult upgrades with fresh granny smith apples, homemade whole grain bread, high quality white cheddar cheese, and honey mustard. All toasted up for a superb sandwich with delicious melty cheese and a crunchy exterior. Sandwich criteria, met. This, my friends, is the Apple White Cheddar Hot Ham and Cheese.
If you’re tired of the same old lunch, do yourself a favor. Put down the boring old PB&J and upgrade your sandwich with this Apple White Cheddar Hot Ham and Cheese!
Apple White Cheddar Hot Ham and Cheese Sandwich
The ham and cheese sandwich gets a delicious upgrade with granny smith apples, white cheddar, and a honey mustard hummus spread.
- Yield: 1 sandwich 1x
- 2 slices whole grain bread
- 1 slice white cheddar cheese
- 4 slices thinly sliced ham
- 1/2 granny smith apple, sliced thinly
- 1 tbsp honey mustard
- Olive oil spray
- Spray a nonstick skillet with olive oil. Heat skillet over low heat. Add ham and cook until warm.
- Spread one slice of bread with honey mustard and place in the skillet, spread side up. Add apple slices, ham, and cheese. Top with second slice of bread. Cook until bottom slice of bread is golden, then flip and continue to cook until cheese is melted and bread is toasted. Cut in half and serve immediately.