Warm, cheesy broccoli dip that’s secretly healthier is perfect for football games and holiday parties! (gluten-free, vegetarian)
Calling all dip lovers! It’s the perfect time of year for a warm and cheesy dip. Football, holiday parties, cooler temperatures – they make a delicious, melty appetizer like this one perfectly appropriate and welcome at any gathering! And it’s the perfect accompaniment to cut up veggies and whole grain crackers for guests who want a healthier snack.
I first had this Hot Broccoli Dip at my friend Miranda’s in high school. We were gathered at her house before our first high school dance in 10th grade. Our mom’s were taking pictures while we basked in the glow of 10 mothers’ camera flashes. Soon after, we hit the snack table, which Miranda’s mother had so graciously prepared for 10 hungry teenage girls. We were all pretty small gals, but I tell you, we could eat! Even then, I appreciated a (somewhat) healthy snack, and this dip was it. I was hooked after one bite!
Eventually, I got the recipe from Miranda’s sweet mother. I still have the cute little recipe paper she hand-wrote it out on for me. I have made it many times over the years, and now have my husband hooked on it as well. He requests it often. I even sub in other veggies I have in the unfortunate event that I don’t have any broccoli.
In my natural dietitian way, I have tweaked the recipe to be a little more healthy (more broccoli and yogurt, less mayo) but the essence is the same: warm, cheesy, comfy, and absolutely perfect for every get together! I hope you enjoy this as much as I do!
Warm, cheesy broccoli dip that's secretly healthier is perfect for football games and holiday parties! (gluten-free, vegetarian)
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 cup red or orange bell pepper
- 1/2 cup onion
- 1 1/2 to 2 cups broccoli, chopped (one small crown)
- 2 oz light cream cheese
- 3/4 cup nonfat plain greek yogurt
- 2 tbsp shredded parmesan
- 2 tbsp grated white cheddar cheese
- Cracked black pepper to taste
- Additional 2 tbsp parmesan
- Additional 2 tbsp cheddar
- Preheat oven to 375°F. In a food processor, pulse garlic, onion, and bell pepper until finely chopped. Add to a large bowl and stir in broccoli.
- Stir in cream cheese, yogurt, parmesan, cheddar and black pepper.
- Spread mixture into a square baking dish. Sprinkle with paprika and bake for 15 minutes or until bubbly.
- Remove, top with additional cheese and return to oven. Broil until cheese gets bubbly and slightly golden.
- Serve warm with crackers, pita chips, or cut up veggies.