A healthy and delicious vegetarian butternut squash soup that’s packed with roasted veggies and perfect for a cozy fall lunch or dinner!
Isn’t fall just beautiful? I love all of the colors, flavors, and smells! Not to mention the cozy mugs of warm drinks and watching college football games. It’s one of the most wonderful times of the year!
The lovely warm colors of changing leaves, pumpkins, and beautiful squashes inspire so many recipes for me! One of my favorite, and on that embodies everything that is fall to me, is this delicious healthy roasted butternut squash soup. It’s so easy to make, yet perfectly captures everything that is great about fall. The comforting flavors, beautiful colors, and the simplicity of making a big, warm bowl of soup for dinner is perfection.
Not only is this healthy roasted butternut squash soup super simple to make (roast and blend!), it’s also very nutritious! Butternut squash is full of carotenoids (they also give it its beautiful color) which is a precursor to vitamin A. It also contains onion, garlic, bell pepper, and apple – a variety of produce ensures lots of vitamins and antioxidants. Garlic and onions contain allicin, a compound that could prevent cancer, and bell peppers are high in vitamin C. Not to mention all of the fiber! (As if you needed convincing to eat it.) It can also be made vegan.
Now you really have no excuse not to make this healthy roasted butternut squash soup. In case you forgot: Yummy, Easy, Healthy. Now Go!
If you want to roast the seeds from the squash, simply rinse them, toss in olive oil, salt, and pepper, and bake at 300° F for 20 minutes or so. Enjoy!
Did you make this recipe? Please leave a star rating in the comments!Print
Healthy Roasted Butternut Squash Soup
This easy, healthy roasted butternut squash soup is the ultimate fall comfort food. It’s the best vegan butternut squash soup with a velvety smooth texture and warm fall flavors! (gluten-free, vegan, nut-free, dairy-free)
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: About 12 cups 1x
- Category: soup
- Method: roast and blend
- Cuisine: American
- 1 large butternut squash
- 1 onion
- 1 red, orange or yellow bell pepper
- 1 apple, any flavor
- 5 cloves garlic
- olive oil
- 3–4 cups vegetable or chicken stock
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- 2 tsp grated fresh ginger or ginger paste
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- salt and pepper, to taste
- toasted walnuts
- fresh sage
- goat cheese
- Greek yogurt
- Toasted squash seeds
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Cut butternut squash in half and scoop out the seeds. (Save seeds for toasting!) Cut onion and apple into quarters, bell pepper in half, and peel garlic. Place all of them on a cookie sheet lined with parchment. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt. Roast for 25 minutes, then remove everything but squash. Continue roasting squash until soft.
- Let vegetables cool. The apple and bell pepper should easily come apart from the skin now. Scoop out the squash and add all ingredients to a blender or food processor and blend until smooth, adding liquid to your preferred consistency.
- Reheat in a stock pot over the stove if necessary.
- Serve with your choice of garnish. I like greek yogurt and toasted squash seeds or toasted walnuts and goat cheese.
Use vegetable stock for vegan option
Keywords: butternut squash soup, healthy soup, dairy free soup