The grilled cheese gets a delicious Mediterranean inspired upgrade from hummus, sautéed veggies and fresh sourdough bread in this Mediterranean veggie hummus grilled cheese. (vegetarian, nut-free)
Remember that time I shared an awesome apple white cheddar hot ham and cheese sandwich recipe with you? Yeah, that was two days ago. And I'm sharing another sandwich with you today. Why? Because I can. Also, I couldn't decide which one was better.
I'm on a roll lately with my sandwiches. No pun intended, but you have to admit, that's a pretty good one! Ever since I got my Sabra spreads in the mail, I've been super inspired to make delicious sandwiches. It didn't hurt that I also made 2 different kinds of bread that day.
Next up in my line of delicious, melty-cheese sandwiches is this Mediterranean veggie hummus grilled cheese. Is there anything more comforting than a grilled cheese sandwich? This one meets all of the sandwich criteria I mentioned in my last post… Good bread? Check. Fresh Veggies? Check. Melty Cheese? Check. Delicious? You betcha!
Sautéed eggplant, zucchini, bell pepper, and onion are perfectly complemented by the gooey, melted mozzarella, fresh basil, crunchy whole grain sourdough bread, and hummus. It's a slightly more grown-up version of your traditional grilled cheese, because of vegetables. And a little extra protein from hummus. I used red pepper flavor, but any kind would be fantastic.
This Mediterranean veggie hummus grilled cheese is a great vegetarian option for lunch or a quick dinner. It's so hearty that you won't even miss the meat. Add a little bowl of tomato soup, and you've got a delicious, comforting meal in no time!
Did you make this recipe? Please leave a star rating in the comments!Print
Mediterranean Veggie Hummus Grilled Cheese
The grilled cheese gets a delicious mediterranean inspired upgrade from hummus, sautéed veggies and fresh sourdough bread in this mediterranean veggie hummus grilled cheese. (vegetarian, nut-free)
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
- Total Time: 15 minutes
- Yield: 2 sandwiches 1x
- Category: lunch
- Method: stovetop
- Cuisine: Mediterranean
- 4 slices sourdough bread
- ¼ cup zucchini, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup eggplant, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup red onion, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 4 tbsp hummus, any flavor
- 3 oz fresh mozzarella cheese, thinly sliced
- 6 basil leaves, sliced into ribbons
- Olive oil spray
- Spray a large non-stick skillet with olive oil and heat over medium heat. Add sliced veggies and cook until soft, stirring.
- Remove vegetables to a plate and turn heat down to low. Spray pan with more oil. Spread 2 slices of bread with 1 tablespoon each of hummus and place in the skillet, spread side up. Divide sautéed veggies between the two slices of bread. Top veggies with cheese and basil. Spread remaining 2 slices of bread with 1 tablespoon each of hummus and top sandwiches with bread. Cook until the bottom slice is toasted, flip and continue cooking until cheese is melted and other piece is toasted. Cut in half and serve immediately.
Keywords: vegetarian sandwich, Mediterranean grilled cheese, hummus veggie sandwich
Think it would taste just as good if I used actual hummus instead of the spread?
Yes, absolutely! 🙂
Watch Live says
I love those kind of sandwiches. And this grilled cheese...,mmm.. Delicious!
Thanks so much!
A brilliant sandwich indeed. <3
Thanks so much!
What a simple, fun idea! Love the flavors here and the gooey, melty cheese!
Thank you! 🙂