Easy and delicious brown rice sushi bowls are customizable so you can create a healthy meal to satisfy your sushi cravings at home!
Do you ever find yourself just really craving sushi? Sometimes I get a strong craving for sushi for weeks at a time. But going out for sushi can add up really quickly, especially if you enjoy a glass of wine with it, so it’s not always the most practical thing to do, especially since it takes way more than just one roll to fill me up. And most restaurants don’t offer brown rice rolls. This girl needs her whole grains.
Since my husband and I are on a budget (hello, grad school loans!), I had to get creative to help cure my sushi cravings. I haven’t taken my sushi mat out of the package yet, so I turned to the next best thing – a bowl! Everything tastes better in a bowl, right? I decided a big bowl of everything that makes sushi good would be an awesome solution! And it was. And I only have to eat one to feel satisfied.
The great thing about a sushi bowl is that you can totally customize it the way you want. I chose to combine a couple of my favorite sushi rolls (veggie roll and salmon) and went with smoked salmon, avocado, and plenty of veggies, all on top of healthy whole grain brown rice. But you can use anything! If smoked salmon isn’t your thing, try shrimp, tofu, or just veggies! And speaking of veggies, you can use anything you have in your fridge. I love cucumber and scallions in my sushi, but anything you have or want is totally acceptable here. There are no rules!
Sushi bowls are especially fun if you are pregnant and craving sushi. You can completely cook everything so it’s safe to eat. (Just be sure to pass on the wine.) I like to make a couple of these sushi bowls and pack them in my lunch for the next couple days. It makes me super excited for lunch! But they’d also make a yummy dinner or fun date night if you want to create a make-your-own-bowl station for you and your favorite person to mix it up.
I hope you love these sushi bowls as much as I do! They totally help a sister out when you have intense sushi cravings but don’t want to go to a restaurant to get your fix. Don’t forget to share your pictures with me @LivelyTable if you make these. I love to see when you make my recipes!
Easy and delicious sushi bowls are customizable so you can create a healthy meal to satisfy your sushi cravings at home!
- 6 asparagus spears
- 2/3 cup cooked brown rice, cooled
- 3 oz smoked salmon or cooked shrimp
- 1/2 small avocado
- 2 green onion stalk
- 1/2 cucumber
- 1/2 nori sheet
- 2 tbsp pickled ginger
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds
- 1/4 cup nonfat greek yogurt
- 1/2 to 1 tsp sriracha or to taste
- 1/4 tsp low-sodium soy sauce*
- In a small saucepan, bring 2 cups of water to a boil. Chop asparagus into 2 inch pieces and add to boiling water. Let cook for 1 minute or until bright green, then immediately remove from heat, drain and add to an ice water bath to stop the cooking process. Set aside.
- Chop nori, green onion, avocado, cucumber, and smoked salmon into bite-sized pieces.
- Mix sriracha mayo sauce: In a small bowl, combine greek yogurt, sriracha, and soy sauce.
- Put brown rice into the bottom of a bowl. Add salmon, asparagus, cucumber, green onion, and pickled ginger. Sprinkle with nori and sesame seeds and top with sriracha mayo sauce. Enjoy!
*use low sodium tamari for gluten-free
Love this recipe? PIN it!