This homemade roasted tomato soup is a stark contrast to canned tomato soup. The roasting process intensifies the sweetness of the tomatoes and brings out their deep, rich flavor. This recipe takes the soup to the next level with a stewed cherry tomato garnish. You will stew the cherry tomatoes in olive oil, together with aromatic herbs and garlic. The garnish complements the flavor of the roasted tomato soup and adds an extra layer of texture and complexity to each bite. The main star of this recipe is the tomato. Tomatoes are an excellent source of essential vitamins and minerals, antioxidants (including lycopene), and fiber.
Ingredients You'll Need for this Recipe
For the soup:
- 4 pounds ripe tomatoes
- 1 big onion
- 1 ½ cups evaporated milk
- 2 cups chicken stock (optional)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
For the stewed cherry tomato garnish:
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes
- 2 cups olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon dried rosemary
How to Make Roasted Tomato Soup
Roast the tomatoes and onion:
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees F.
- Wash the tomatoes and place them in an oven tray or a lined air-fryer basket.
- Peel and quarter the onion and add it to the tray or basket.
- Drizzle the tomatoes and onion with 2 tablespoons of olive oil and roast in the preheated oven for 30 minutes.
- Make the garnish while these are roasting.
Make the stewed cherry tomato garnish:
- Place the cherry tomatoes and 2 cups of olive oil in a small pot or saucepan.
- Peel and crush the garlic cloves. Add the garlic, thyme, and rosemary to the pot.
- Cook on super-low heat for 20 minutes. Do not mix.
Make the soup:
- Once the tomatoes and onions are roasted, transfer them to a pot and cook them for a couple of minutes. Remove the pot from the heat.
- Once the mixture has cooled a bit, peel the tomatoes.
- Add the evaporated milk.
- Process the mixture with an immersion blender until it reaches a soft, creamy consistency. Stir in some chicken stock if you want a thinner soup.
- Cook on medium-low heat for 10 minutes.
- Taste the soup and season with salt, black pepper, and thyme.
- Serve each bowl of soup with a few stewed cherry tomatoes and drizzle of infused oil on the top.
How to Serve Roasted Tomato Soup
This roasted tomato soup is best served hot, straight from the stove. Pour the soup into individual bowls and top each serving has a generous amount of the stewed cherry tomato garnish. Add a handful of croutons for some extra crunch if desired. Sprinkle with fresh chopped basil or parsley for a finishing touch. For a heartier meal, serve the soup with a side of crusty bread or a grilled cheese sandwich.
Tips & Variations for this Dish
Consider these tips to make the best roasted tomato soup:
- Choose ripe, in-season tomatoes for the freshest taste and richest nutrients. Experiment with different types of tomatoes. Heirloom varieties can impart unique flavors.
- Roast the tomatoes until they are a bit charred to enhance the soup's robust flavor.
- Peel the tomatoes before roasting them if you prefer. I find it easier to peel them after they are roasted.
- Use homemade chicken or vegetable stock instead of store-bought to elevate the flavor profile.
- While this recipe uses evaporated milk for creaminess, substitute with regular milk, cream, or a dairy-free alternative if you prefer.
- Use a plant-based milk and vegetable stock to make this recipe vegan and vegetarian.
- Use the leftover stewed cherry tomato garnish in a variety of ways. The stewed tomatoes are delicious on toast. The infused olive oil works great on salads or added to other dishes for lots of flavor.
How to Store Leftovers
Store the leftover roasted tomato soup and garnish in separate containers. You can store the soup in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 5 days. Store the stewed tomatoes and olive oil in a glass jar in the fridge for up to 7 days.
More Tomato Recipes
- Healthy Roasted Red Pepper Tomato Basil Soup
- Easy Tomato Basil White Bean Salad
- Pan con Tomate (Spanish Tomato Toast)
- Marinated Artichoke Salad with Tomatoes and Feta
Roasted Tomato Soup with Stewed Cherry Tomato Garnish
Super delicious and easy-to-make roasted tomato soup with stewed cherry tomatoes.
- Prep Time: 1 minute
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Total Time: 41 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Category: Soups and stews
- Cuisine: International
For the soup:
4 pounds ripe tomatoes
1 big onion
2 garlic cloves
1 ½ cups evaporated milk
2 cups chicken stock (optional)
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon dried thyme
For the stewed cherry tomatoes:
2 cups cherry tomatoes
2 cups olive oil
1 tablespoon dried thyme
1 tablespoon dried rosemary
Wash the tomatoes and add them to an oven tray or air fryer basket (lined). Peel the onion and quarter it. Add it to the tray or basket too.
Drizzle with olive oil and roast for 30 minutes at 375 F
While the tomatoes and onion are roasting stew the cherry tomatoes, for this:
In a small pot/saucepan add the cherry tomatoes and cover them with olive oil.
Peel and crush the garlic cloves and add them to the pot.
Add the herbs.
Cook on super-low heat for 20 minutes. Do not mix.
Once the tomatoes and onion are roasted transfer them to a bowl and let cook for a couple of minutes. Once chilled peel them.
Add the evaporated milk and with the immersion blender process everything until you achieve a soft creamy consistency. If you want you can add a bit of the chicken stock now to make it more liquid.
Cook for 10 minutes on medium-low, taste, and season with salt, black pepper, and thyme.
Serve dressed with a few of the stewed cherry tomatoes and a drizzle of their infused oil.
The stewed cherry tomatoes are super delicious on toast, also the olive oil used for it results in a delicious garlic and herbs infused oil, delicious for salads or any kind of soups and creams, adding lots of flavor to the final dish. Keep the stewed tomatoes and their olive oil in the fridge in a crystal jar for up to 7 days.
The roasted tomato soup is creamy and thick with the addition of the evaporated milk, but if you would like to have it more liquid either add more evaporated milk or chicken stock.
You can peel the tomatoes before roasting them, but I find it easier once they are roasted.
You can store the soup in sealed containers in the fridge for up to 5 days.