Crock Pot Vegetable Loaded Tortilla-less Chicken Tortilla Soup is a healthy and flavorful Mexican soup that your family will love! Includes stove top directions. (gluten-free, dairy-free, nut-free)
I am so excited to finally share this Tortilla-less Chicken Tortilla Soup with you! This soup is a favorite in our house, and I’ve been meaning to get the recipe on the blog for over a year, but it’s always been too dark out for me to photograph (and we’re always ready to dig right in when it’s ready)!
I came up with this recipe with my mom back in high school. We were at home one cold night while my dad was gone hunting for the weekend, and we were both craving soup (we are both soup lovers), so we came up with this tortilla soup. It turned out great! I’ve been making it ever since.
Chicken tortilla soup has so many variations, and they are all delicious. I love my tortilla soup loaded with veggies and big chunks of chicken, and not too spicy, and this soup is perfect for me. If you love tons of veggies in your soup too, you definitely need to give this one a try. The great thing about this vegetable loaded chicken tortilla soup is that it’s easy to customize exactly how you like it.
Oh, and it also doesn’t have tortillas in it. Frying up corn tortillas in tiny strips only for them to get soggy while they cook in your soup just seems silly to me. Way too much work and mess. I prefer crunchy tortillas in my soup, so I just top it with some tortilla chips at the end. Much easier if you ask me, and it’s nice because you can make this tortilla soup grainless if you want. It’s also easy to make paleo and whole 30 compliant by taking out the beans.
Then again, if you like rice in your tortilla soup, you can add that too! Just add about a half cup of uncooked brown rice (or a whole cup of cooked) in with everything else. I will add rice or quinoa if I have some already cooked in the refrigerator, but if not I usually leave this soup as it is.
I love simmering soup on the stove top and think it tastes better that way, but I understand you’re all busy and sometimes you just need your dinner to cook while you’re not home, so I made this version slow cooker friendly. Just dump all the ingredients into your crock pot in the morning, and shred the chicken when you get home, and dinner is served! What could be easier?
Of course, if you have the time, I definitely recommend trying this chicken tortilla soup on the stove top. It’s fantastic! Especially topped with ALL the toppings. I go for cheese, Greek yogurt, avocado, cilantro, and tortilla chips with a little squeeze of lime. But of course, top it to fit your needs!
This delicious crock pot vegetable loaded tortilla-less chicken tortilla soup is one of my absolute favorite winter meals and a great way to get in tons of nutritious veggies and lean protein. It makes great leftovers, so you can make a big batch on Sunday and eat it all week for lunch. So easy and delicious!
Crock Pot Vegetable Loaded Tortilla-less Chicken Tortilla Soup is a healthy and flavorful Mexican soup that your family will love! Includes stovetop directions. (gluten-free, dairy-free, nut-free)
- 2 (6 oz) boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 large cloves garlic, miced
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 jalapeno, diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1 zucchini, sliced and cut into half-circles
- 1 small bell pepper, diced
- 1 can corn, drained and rinsed
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can diced tomatoes, including juice
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 3 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground paprika
- 2 tsp dried Mexican oregano
- 4 cups chicken stock
- Juice from 1 lime
- Tortilla chips
- Shredded cheese
- Sour cream or plain Greek yogurt (or diary-free alternative)
- Fresh jalapeno
- Sliced radish
- Add all ingredients to your slow cooker and stir to combine.
- Cover and cook on low 6-8 hours.
- Remove chicken breasts and shred. Add back to slow cooker and let warm back up.
- Pour soup into bowls and top with desired toppings.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator or freezer.
- Add chicken breasts to a large heavy-bottomed pot with chicken stock. Cover and cook on medium-low heat until chicken is cooked through, about 20 minutes. Remove from pot and shred, reserving cooking liquid.
- Wipe out pot and add 1 tbsp olive oil. Add garlic, onion, jalapeno, carrots, celery, zucchini and bell pepper and cook over low heat until vegetables are softened.
- Add remaining ingredients to the pot with shredded chicken and reserved cooking liquid. Stir and simmer 15-20 minutes, covered.
- Scoop into bowls and top as desired.
Love this recipe? PIN it!