Healthy Veggie-Loaded Crock Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup
This healthy crock pot chicken tortilla soup is loaded with vegetables and flavor! It's easily customizable to be vegan, to use leftover chicken, or to make on the stove. (gluten-free, dairy-free)
- Author: Kaleigh
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 6 hours
- Total Time: 6.5 hours
- Yield: about 8 servings 1x
- Category: soup
- Method: crockpot
- Cuisine: Mexican
- 2 (6 oz) boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 jalapeno, diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1 zucchini, sliced and cut into half-circles
- 1 small bell pepper, diced
- 1 can corn, drained and rinsed
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can diced fire-roasted tomatoes, including juice
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 3 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground paprika (smoked paprika if you have it)
- 2 tsp dried Mexican oregano
- 4 cups low sodium chicken stock
- Juice from 1 lime
For the tortilla strips:
- 4 corn tortillas
- 2 tbsp oil
For the Crock Pot:
- Add all ingredients to your slow cooker and stir to combine.
- Cover and cook on low 6-8 hours.
- Remove chicken breasts and shred using two forks. Add back to slow cooker and stir back into the soup. Let cook until chicken is warmed back up.
- Pour soup into bowls and top with desired toppings.
For the Stovetop:
- Add chicken breasts to a large heavy-bottomed pot with chicken stock. Cover and cook on medium-low heat until chicken is cooked through, about 20 minutes. Remove from pot and shred, reserving cooking liquid.
- Wipe out pot and add 1 tbsp olive oil. Add garlic, onion, jalapeno, carrots, celery, zucchini and bell pepper and cook over low heat until vegetables are softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients to the pot with shredded chicken and reserved cooking liquid. Stir and simmer 15-20 minutes, covered.
- Scoop into bowls and top as desired.
For the Tortilla Strips:
- Cut corn tortillas into 1/4" wide strips.
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat.
- Add tortilla strips and fry, stirring occasionally, until crispy and golden, 3-6 minutes.
- Place tortilla strips on a plate lined with paper towels to drain. Sprinkle with fine sea salt.
- Serve with tortilla soup.
- Store leftover soup in the refrigerator up to 5 days or in the freezer up to 6 months.
- Use shredded leftover chicken or rotisserie chicken. Just add it in for the last 30 minutes of cooking to warm it through.
- Add rice if you'd like. Add about 1/2 cup dry rice in the beginning, or 1 cup cooked rice near the end to warm it through.
- Omit the beans (or any other ingredient you don't like).
- For a vegan version, omit the chicken and use vegetable broth instead of chicken broth.
- If you like more spice, add a diced serrano, or double the jalapeño.
Keywords: healthy crockpot tortilla soup, healthy chicken tortilla soup, easy slow cooker chicken tortilla soup