Christmas roasted brussels sprouts with bacon, cranberries, and walnuts are sure to be a hit as your holiday side dish! (gluten-free, vegan option)
But I know there are plenty of brussels skeptics out there who have been scarred by mushy, greyish, sulfury tasting globs that once resembled brussels sprouts. The best way to convert those skeptics? 1. Roasting those glorious beauties into crispy goodness, and 2. BACON.
If I know one thing about vegetable skeptics, it’s that they will try any veggie if it has bacon. So these Christmas roasted brussels sprouts have a generous dose of bacon to help make them taste more indulgent. They’re cooked in bacon fat and then sprinkled with crispy bacon pieces. (I’m not normally big on bacon, but something about this pregnancy has made me much more open to cooking with it. You’re welcome, Mr. Table.) Even better? They’ve also got a shot of bourbon, just for good measure. Both man-friendly and very holiday appropriate, if you ask me.
Roasting is also essential to make brussels sprouts taste their best. So spread those babies out in a single layer as far apart as you can and crank your oven way up. You want them nice and crispy to ensure no steaming and no sulfuric after taste.
Lastly, a sprinkle of beautiful ruby-colored cranberries and crunchy toasted walnuts makes these Christmas roasted brussels so festive and pretty. They will be so fun for your holiday table, and I promise they’ll be gone by the end of dinner. They might even compete with those Christmas cookies for the family favorite! Ok, no probably not, but they’re still delicious and will turn even the most skeptic of brussels sprouts haters. Enjoy!
If you made this recipe, please leave a star rating in the comments!Print
Christmas Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Bacon and Cranberries
Christmas roasted brussels sprouts with bacon, cranberries and walnuts are sure to be a hit as your holiday side dish! (gluten-free, vegan option)
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Category: side dish
- Method: oven
- Cuisine: American
- 2 slices uncured bacon*
- 1 lb brussels sprouts, trimmed
- 2 tbsp shallot, minced
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 tsp freshly cracked black pepper
- 1/2 cup fresh cranberries (you can also use dried cranberries)
- 1/4 cup walnuts, roughly chopped
- Sea salt, to taste
- Cook bacon until done but not yet crispy on the stovetop or in the oven, reserving grease.
- Heat oven to 425°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment or a silicone baking mat.
- Trim brussels sprouts and cut large ones in half. Place in a large bowl with shallots.
- In a small bowl, whisk together bacon grease, maple syrup, vinegar and pepper. Pour over brussels sprouts and toss to coat. Spread sprouts oven the baking sheet in a single layer. Roast 15 minutes, stirring halfway through.
- Remove sprouts from the oven and add bacon, cranberries and walnuts to the baking sheet. Roast an additional 5 minutes, or until walnuts are toasted and bacon is crisp. Remove from oven and salt to taste. Serve immediately.
*Omit bacon for vegan and use avocado oil in place of bacon grease.
Bacon may be made ahead of time to make cooking faster.
Keywords: Christmas brussels sprouts, roasted brussels sprouts with bacon, brussels sprouts with cranberries, holiday brussels sprouts