This Chicken Caprese Pasta Salad is a delicious and healthy pasta salad made with tomatoes, basil, mozzarella and whole grain pasta that makes the perfect summer lunch or potluck dish! (gluten-free and vegetarian option)
Now that Memorial Day has passed, it is officially summer party season, and that means pasta salad season!
Mr. Table is a huge fan of pasta salad. He loved my carrot top pesto tortellini salad, so I knew I better make him another pasta salad asap.
This chicken caprese pasta salad has all of the delicious flavors of a classic caprese salad – tomatoes, basil and fresh mozzarella – plus grilled chicken and whole grain pasta for extra protein and fiber. This pasta salad can be a complete meal on its own, or it makes a tasty side dish!
I love using whole grain pasta is my pasta salad. Not only does it provide more fiber and nutrients to keep me full, it’s also just as inexpensive as regular pasta. Whole grain pasta is a definite pantry staple for me. If you have celiac disease, you can use chickpea pasta to make this caprese pasta salad gluten-free. You’ll still get plenty of fiber and a little protein boost. I like Banza chickpea pasta. You can also leave out the chicken to make this a vegetarian dish if you’ll be sharing it with a group with diverse dietary restrictions.
This pasta salad is a great dish to meal prep on the weekends. I love keeping it in our refrigerator as an easy side dish to go with summer dinners or as a quick lunch on busy days. Mr. Table loves eating it for lunch, too.
Once you make this delicious chicken caprese pasta salad, you’ll find out just how easy it is to make a quick and healthy meal that tastes amazing and provides tons of nutrition. You might as well add it to your summer menu every week, because you and your family will love it!
Chicken Caprese Pasta Salad
This Chicken Caprese Pasta Salad is delicious and healthy pasta salad made with tomatoes, basil, mozzarella and whole grain pasta that makes the perfect summer lunch or potluck dish!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: about 8 cups 1x
- Category: lunch, side dish
- 8 oz whole wheat pasta or chickpea pasta*
- 1 boneless, skinless chicken breast, cooked**
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves, sliced thinly
- 2–3 oz fresh mozzarella (in small balls, halved, or one big one, cubed)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp freshly cracked black pepper
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain and cool.
- Cut cooked chicken breast into 1-inch cubes. In a large bowl, combine pasta, chicken, tomatoes, mozzarella, and basil.
- In a small bowl or glass measuring cup, whisk together remaining ingredients. Pour over pasta mixture and gently stir to coat.
- Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
*Use chickpea pasta for gluten-free
**Omit for vegetarian
Keywords: pasta salad, chicken, caprese
Love this recipe? PIN it!