A delicious cheesy summer squash casserole recipe made just a bit healthier is the perfect summer side dish for using all of those yellow squash and zucchini! (vegetarian, nut-free)
Quick hypothetical question: You have a ton of extra summer squash in your fridge because it’s summer and summer squash is awesome. What do you make? You could grill them. You could spiralize them. You could cut ’em up and eat them with some avocado hummus.
OR you could make a delicious, cheesy summer squash casserole!
The first time I had squash casserole was at Sissy’s Southern Kitchen in Dallas. It’s a charming restaurant famous for their fried chicken and cute old south décor. Their chicken is pretty good (and I don’t even care for fried chicken much) but what I really love there is the squash casserole. It’s cheesy and topped with crunchy bread crumbs and just delicious. So naturally I had to make my own. It’s the perfect use for summer squash or zucchini.
The secret to getting a good sauce and a cohesive casserole with squash is squeezing out as much water as possible from the squash after you grate it. Otherwise you end up with a watery casserole. No bueno. So don’t skip that step.
You should also use good quality cheese for the best cheesy flavor. I like to use a combination of cheeses since I usually have small bits of a variety of cheeses in my fridge. A good block of parmesan, gruyere or manchego goes a long way. It transforms the humble yellow squash into the most delicious side dish ever without using Paula Deen amounts of butter.
So next time you have lots of summer squash in your fridge (i.e. right now), make them into something amazing with this cheesy summer squash casserole recipe!Print
Cheesy Summer Squash Casserole
Delicious cheesy summer squash casserole recipe made healthier with summer squash, whole wheat bread crumbs, and just a bit of indulgent cheese is the perfect summer side dish!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 6-8 servings 1x
- Category: side dish
- Cuisine: Southern
- 2 medium yellow squash
- pinch sea salt
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 small onion, minced
- 1 tbsp wheat flour
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 large egg
- pinch black pepper
- 1/2 cup freshly grated good quality cheese, such as parmesan, gruyere or manchego (I use a combination of the cheeses I have in my fridge.)
- 1/4 cup whole wheat bread crumbs or panko
- Heat oven to 400° F.
- Line a colander or bowl with paper towels. Grate squash onto paper towels and sprinkle with a pinch of salt. Let sit for about 5 minutes, then squeeze out as much liquid as you can.
- Add squash to a bowl with onions and garlic.
- Whisk together flour, milk, egg and pepper. Pour into bowl with squash. Add cheese and stir gently to combine.
- Pour mixture into a lightly greased 8-inch baking dish.
- Sprinkle bread crumbs over the top of the squash and bake for 20-30 minutes, or until squash is bubbly and top is golden. Remove from oven and serve hot.