Thick and creamy healthier banana pudding bursting with so much delicious banana flavor, you won’t even know it’s better for you! Cute mini servings are easy to serve and fun to eat!
We’ve been on a huge banana pudding kick in our house lately. Mr. Table loooves banana pudding, so when he asked me to make some recently, of course I said I would!
He thought I’d buy some banana pudding mix at the store, but (oh hell no) I was making the REAL thing! No boxed mixes in my kitchen, thank you.
So how do you make banana pudding from scratch? Most southern banana pudding recipes are actually vanilla pudding with sliced bananas and vanilla wafers. Which is delicious, by the way. But if you want to make really banana-y banana pudding, you need more than that.
Simply adding bananas to the pudding while cooking will result in brown pudding. No thanks. So how do you add a ton of banana flavor? My answer is banana liqueur. It adds the absolute perfect amount of banana flavor without relying on a mix or mushy brown ‘naners. And it’s so flavorful that you can use less sugar and low fat milk and still achieve a perfectly sweet dessert!
To make this delicious banana pudding extra special, I used real vanilla beans in the pudding along with the banana liqueur. I also used homemade vanilla wafers from a local bakery (well, in Slaton, which is about 30 minutes away). You could also make your own if you had the time, because, let’s be real, Nabisco just doesn’t cut it if you want THE BEST banana pudding. Which this is. All topped with homemade whipped cream. Dessert heaven, my friends.
Since this month’s Recipe ReDux theme is mini desserts to celebrate their 6th birthday, I made this delicious banana pudding into individual mason jar desserts. They’re adorable and perfect for serving at parties. You could also make a big single batch just as well! This healthier banana pudding is the perfect summer treat to satisfy your sweet cravings! If you’ve never made homemade pudding before, give it a try! It’s much easier than you think!
Thick and creamy healthier banana pudding bursting with so much delicious banana flavor, you won't even know it's better for you! Cute mini servings are easy to serve and fun to eat!
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 3 1/2 tbsp corn starch
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1-inch vanilla bean pod, beans scraped out (or 1 tbsp vanilla extract)
- 1 tbsp banana liqueur (optional - but highly recommended!)
- 2 large bananas, sliced
- About 16 vanilla wafers (homemade or store-bought)
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- In a large saucepan, whisk together sugar, cornstarch, and salt. Whisk in eggs and milk.
- Heat the mixture over medium heat, stirring constantly, until thickened. Remove from heat. Stir in butter, vanilla and banana liqueur (if using), and mix well. Let the mixture cool and cover with plastic wrap, pressing plastic onto the surface of the pudding to prevent a film from developing. Chill at least 1 hour.
- To make the whipped cream, chill a large bowl and beaters in the freezer for 20 minutes or so. Add whipping cream, sugar, and vanilla to the bowl and beat on high until stiff peaks form, 2-5 minutes.
- When ready to assemble the pudding, place a wafer in the bottom of each of 8 small jars of dishes. Top with a layer of sliced bananas and a layer of pudding. Top with whipped cream and garnish with an additional banana slice and vanilla wafer before serving.
Love this recipe? PIN it!