A delicious warm salad with roasted kale, mushrooms, and eggplant, tangy goat cheese, walnuts and balsamic vinaigrette. It’s the perfect side dish for cooler weather. (gluten-free, vegetarian)
It’s finally starting to feel like fall! Hopefully it won’t warm back up to 100° next week. I’m ready to be eating my favorite fall comfort foods.
This roasted Warm Eggplant, Mushroom, and Kale Salad is the perfect fall salad. It is served hot straight from the oven with warm fall flavors like thyme and balsamic vinegar plus creamy goat cheese that make the mushrooms, kale and eggplant so comforting and perfect for cooler temperatures when you don’t want a cold salad.
If you don’t want to mess with making the dressing, a drizzle of balsamic works just fine too! Or you could use your favorite balsamic vinaigrette. Whatever you’d like. I like to serve this salad with roasted bone-in chicken or pork loin, but experiment with what you like. You can also make it a vegetarian meal by throwing in some chickpeas or tofu, or topping with a poached egg.
As always, share your pictures of my recipes with #livelytable and tag @livelytable so I can see them!
A delicious warm salad with roasted kale, mushrooms, and eggplant, tangy goat cheese, walnuts and balsamic vinaigrette. It's the perfect side dish for cooler weather. (gluten-free, vegetarian)
- 1 1/2 tbsp olive oil, divided
- 1 large eggplant
- 1 pint cremini mushrooms
- 4 large leaves of kale, stems removed
- 1/2 cup walnuts, toasted
- 1/4 cup goat cheese, crumbled
- 4 sprigs thyme, leaves removed
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp honey
- Freshly cracked black pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Line 2 baking sheets with foil.
- Cut eggplant into uniform 1 inch cubes. Toss with 1/2 tbsp of the olive oil and spread onto one of the cookie sheets. Tear kale into uniform pieces and toss with 1/2 tbsp of olive oil. Spread onto other cookie sheet.
- Wash mushrooms and cut each in half. Toss with remaining 1/2 tbsp olive oil and Add to a small baking dish.
- Roast kale 10 minutes or until crispy but not burned. Roast eggplant and mushrooms 20 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes or so. Let vegetables cool slightly before handling.
- Meanwhile, prepare the dressing: In a small saucepan, and garlic, balsamic, oil and honey. Heat on low until thickened, about 10 minutes. Remove garlic cloves and stir in cracked pepper to taste. Set aside.
- In a large bowl combine roasted vegetables, dressing, walnuts, goat cheese, and thyme. Gently stir and serve immediately.