Are you looking for an easy and delicious side dish to make tonight? Try these stewed artichokes in the instant pot. This recipe is simple but flavorful. Plus, it's made in the instant pot, so it's super quick. You'll love the bacon and wine flavors in this dish - it makes them extra tender and tasty.
Why You'll Love this Stewed Artichokes Recipe
With only a few simple ingredients, like fresh artichokes, bacon, and wine, this dish is packed with flavor and comes together with minimal effort on your part. Plus, the tenderness of these artichokes will blow you away.
The main ingredient in this recipe is the artichoke itself. Artichokes have a delicious nutty flavor that many people find addictive. They get even better when the artichokes are enhanced with the flavors of onions, garlic, bacon, wine, and rosemary.
Stewing the artichokes in the instant pot makes cooking and cleaning so convenient. With the touch of a few buttons, you can prepare this recipe in record time. Set your instant pot and walk away while it does its thing. And because all the cooking is done in the instant pot, you only have one pot to clean.
Is this Recipe Healthy?
This recipe is healthy because it is made with several different veggies - artichokes, onions, garlic, and spring onions. If you're looking for an antioxidant-rich food that is also packed with other nutrients like vitamins, minerals, and fiber, then artichokes should definitely be on your menu.
One large artichoke provides 25 calories, 0 grams of fat, and 6 grams of fiber. Artichokes are also a good source of vitamin C, potassium, folate, and magnesium. They provide a lot of nutrients in a small amount of calories. And the fiber in artichokes helps to regulate digestion and promote regular bowel movements.
Artichokes are also a rich source of antioxidants, which can help protect against the damaging effects of free radicals in the body. Free radicals can cause inflammation and damage to cells, tissues, and organs. By removing these harmful molecules, antioxidants help to prevent or reduce inflammation. This makes artichokes a great choice for maintaining overall health and preventing chronic diseases, such as cancer.
How to Make Stewed Artichokes in the Instant Pot
- Dice the onion as small as possible.
- Peel the garlic cloves and cut them into thin slices. Or you can smash or grate them.
- Dice the spring onion and finely chop the fresh parsley.
- Heat the instant pot on saute mode on medium heat.
- Saute the onion, garlic, and spring onion in the olive oil for 7 minutes until golden and fragrant.
- Add the bacon strips and saute until golden and crispy.
- Add the artichoke hearts and the wine of your choice.
- Season with salt, pepper, and dried rosemary.
- Close the lid and cook for 20 minutes on high pressure. When the cooking is complete, do a quick release.
- Garnish with the parsley and serve.
Tips for Making Stewed Artichokes in the Instant Pot
If you want to make delicious stewed artichokes in your instant pot, there are a few tips that can help you achieve the perfect results:
- Choose smaller or medium-sized artichokes for optimal tenderness.
- Trim off the tough outer leaves of each artichoke until you're left with just the tender inner leaves.
- Slice each artichoke lengthwise down the middle and press on either side to open it up a little bit more. This will allow some of those juices from inside to seep out while they cook and give you a nice, tender artichoke with tons of flavor.
- When the cooking time is complete, try to open up one artichoke. If it is still a little firm, put the lid back on and set it to cook for another 5 minutes on high pressure.
- If there is too much liquid when the cooking time is complete, you can cook them on saute mode for 5 minutes on low to reduce the sauce.
More Artichoke Recipes
- Artichokes with White Wine Sauce and Burrata
- Marinated Artichoke Salad with Tomatoes and Feta
- Overnight Mushroom Artichoke Strata
- Healthy Whipped Feta Artichoke Dip
Stewed Artichokes FAQs
You can make this dish with either fresh or frozen artichoke hearts. If you use frozen artichoke hearts, you don't need to thaw them first. Just add them to the instant pot and cook them according to the recipe.
Stewed artichokes are versatile. You can serve them as a side dish or in a variety of other recipes. They pair well with meats like chicken and steak, or they make an excellent addition to pasta dishes and casseroles. You can even use them as a topping on pizza or flatbreads.
You can store leftover stewed artichokes in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 5 days.
If you love artichokes and want to try something a little different, stewed artichokes in the instant pot are the perfect choice. With their rich flavor, tender texture, and long list of health benefits, these stewed artichokes are sure to become a favorite in your kitchen. So why not give stewed artichokes a try today?Print
Stewed Artichokes in the Instant Pot
Delicious stewed artichokes with bacon and wine made in the instant pot. Super tender and flavorful, the perfect side dish for a night's meal.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Category: Side Dishes
- Cuisine: International
- 1 pound fresh or frozen artichoke cores
- 1 onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 3 spring onions
- ⅓ cup parsley
- 1 cup bacon strips
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 ½ cups wine (marsala, white or brandy)
- 1 tablespoon dried rosemary
- ½ tablespoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- Peel the onion and dice it as small as possible. Peel the garlic cloves and slice them thinly. Alternatively, you can also smash or grate them.
- Peel the outer layer of the spring onions and dice them. Chop the parsley finely.
- In the Instant pot on sautee mode on medium heat, add the olive oil and add the onion, garlic, and spring onion and saute for 7 minutes until golden and fragrant.
- Add the bacon strips to the instant pot and saute until golden and crispy.
- Add the artichoke cores to the instant pot and add the wine of your choice to it.
- Season with salt, pepper, and dried rosemary.
- Close the lid and cook for 20 minutes on high pressure. Once finished, do a quick release.
- Serve with the parsley as garnish.
This dish can be made either with fresh or frozen artichoke hearts (also known as cores, which are the most tender center part of the artichoke)
If using frozen, there’s no need to thaw them first, simply add them to the instant pot and cook them following these steps.
When opening the lid, if there’s too much liquid, you can cook them in the sautee mode for 5 minutes on low to help reduce the sauce.
This side dish is well kept in the fridge in a sealed container for up to 5 days.